Kansas City’s women’s tennis team suffer loss in season opener

The Kansas City women’s tennis team fell to Florida International University 4-0 in Omaha, Nebraska on Jan. 25.

Head coach Kendell Hale gave high praise to FIU while giving his team constructive criticism to build on from their first match of the season.

“We met a strong team for our first match.  They were riding confidence with a win over Iowa this last week,” said Hale.  “This being our first match we came out super flat in doubles.”

The Panthers dominated early by taking the first point in doubles play by sweeping through the numbers one and two.  At the three spot, Grace Ball and Rhiannon McBlane made it difficult for FIU’s Bozinovic/Miletic, taking two games, but ultimately the point was decided before the set ended.  The Roos’ duo trailed 4-2 in the set when the point was decided.

Coach Hale was disappointed by how his team started the day, but was encouraged by their toughness and fortitude.

“We picked it up in singles by taking sets in Grace, Yana and Rhiddi’s matches,” said Hale. “I didn’t like how we started, but liked how we fought back.”

The Roos open up the season at 0-1 in dual play, but will try to bounce back when they travel to Norman, Oklahoma on Saturday, Feb. 1 when they take on the Sooners of Oklahoma.