A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy BlantonApril 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Aydan Stigler and Grace BeshoreMarch 14, 2024

Kansas City hosts WAC Cross Country Championships, Roos take home fifth and sixth

Kansas City had the privilege of hosting this year’s WAC Cross Country Championships at Swope Park last Saturday. The Roos’ women’s program finished fifth in the event with 122 points, while the men’s unit took home sixth with 169 points. 

The windy, brisk conditions and hilly terrain didn’t deter Kansas City sophomore runners Max Selbach and Sommer Herner, who both finished in the top 10 individually. Selbach posted a time of 25:29 in his 8K race, and Herner ran a 21:53 in the 6K. 

“I was super pumped about [my performance],” Herner said. “I went into the race knowing it was a tough course. It was all about keeping pace on the hills, and I knew once I got to the second part of the race I really had to kick it in and use my stride.” 

It wasn’t just the excellent results that made Herner proud. She said competing in Kansas City also made the race worthwhile.

“We had a lot of family and friends come out today and I think that made me more pumped,” Herner said. 

Head Coach Benaud Shirley also believed the hometown atmosphere resonated with his runners. 

“I think it was a really good experience for the team and program to be able to host this meet,” Shirley said. “This was the first time I’ve got the opportunity to do this.”

Kansas City’s cross country season continues in two weeks when both squads kick off the NCAA Regionals on Nov. 15.