Men’s soccer pitches shutout against California Baptist, will play for spot in WAC Tournament

The Kansas City men’s soccer team showed up big time defensively on Senior Day against California Baptist, shutting out the Lancers 1-0 to secure the Roos’ fifth win in seven games. The critical victory moves Kansas City to sixth in the WAC standings with a chance to clinch a spot in the WAC Tournament for the first time in five years.

There wasn’t much activity from either team in the first half of play until freshman midfielder Zinedine Kroeten notched his first career assist. Kroten dropped a pass onto the feet of fellow freshman forward Nate Temm, who knocked the ball in for the only goal of the game in the 43rd minute.

Play intensified in the second half, as California Baptist dominated possession. The Lancers took 11 shots in the second half but also accumulated three yellow cards (20 fouls overall) as the game grew more physical.

Senior goalkeeper Filippo Errico had an impressive outing, finishing with four saves to keep the Lancers scoreless despite their flurry of shots. 

After the game, Head Coach Rick Benben spoke proudly of the players honored for Senior Day. 

“All four of our seniors have really contributed to the program and have been great on the field and in the classroom as well,” Benben said. “Filippo was fantastic at goal. I just can’t say enough about their effort and how well they have played.”

It was an unusual win for the Roos, who only shot the ball five times. It was also Kansas City’s first win of the year where it did not score multiple goals.

The win moves the Roos to 5-5 in the conference with a chance to clinch a spot in the WAC tournament when they face Houston Baptist in the final game of the year on Saturday.