Top five neighborhood breweries

If you’ve lived in Kansas City for more than three minutes, you’ve heard of Boulevard Brewing Company. More than five minutes, and you’re familiar with KC Bier Co. However, in the spirit of Oktoberfest, it’s time to highlight some neighborhood breweries. Here are some of UNews’ favorites. 

BKS Artisan Ales 633 E. 63rd Street Kansas City, MO 64110 Located closest to UMKC’s main campus and in the heart of Brookside, BKS Artisan Ales offers a convenient pint for all over-21 students. Its beer offerings are constantly changing, so get in fast for our personal favorite, Vacation Island—a beer twist on the classic Pimm’s Cup cocktail.

Martin City Brewing Company – 500 E 135th St, Kansas City, MO 64145 A little more familiar to beer drinkers in KC, its Belgian Abbey Ale is featured in restaurants around the city. Its original tap house, located in Martin City, Missouri, is a great place to get away for a family-friendly afternoon. If you need that final push to get you down there, its pizza is absolutely mouth-watering. 

Casual Animal – 1725 McGee St, Kansas City, MO 64108 If you are looking for a laid back beer that taps into your wild side, this Crossroads brewery is here to provide. Although it doesn’t have a kitchen that provides anything outside of your typical bar snacks, patrons are encouraged to bring food from nearby vendors. So, grab a pizza from Grinders and head to Casual Animal for the perfect alcoholic enhancement to your meal. 

Brewery Emperial – 1829 Oak Street Kansas City MO 64108 This cozy, rustic tap house with its expansive patio is perfect for those nice fall days. Looking for somewhere to spend an afternoon? Look no further than this Crossroads Brewery. Special tip: Sunday afternoons are bustling with outdoor games, $3 taco specials and, of course, taps. Its infamous Biscuit Ale is also a must try. 

Stockyards Brewing Co. – 1600 Genessee St #100, Kansas City, MO 64102 Want your pint with a show? Head down to the West Bottoms for Stockyards Brewing Company’s live music. Located in a historic neighborhood in the middle of a big comeback, there’s no better place to spend an afternoon drinking some tasty, unique drafts.