A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy Blanton April 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Running for Roo Royalty

Candidates Discuss Their Connection to the UMKC Community
Julia Kapros
Court Warming is a week of showing spirit for the Roos’ basketball teams and celebrate Roo Court Warming Royalty.

UMKC’s Roo Royalty candidates, spanning various majors and campus involvements, vie for the crown, each bringing unique experiences and aspirations to the competition. Here is some more information about each candidate:

Bri Myers 

Photo provided by Bri Myers.

Senior Bri Myers, a nursing major, is one of the Panhellenic Roo Royalty candidates. Myers is representing Alpha Delta Pi, a sorority she has been involved with since her freshman year and held two leadership roles within it. 

“I was our director of community service in 2021,” said Myers. “Then also our director of new members in 2022.” 

Myers is also on the leadership team of Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Originally, running for Roo Royalty wasn’t something Myers considered. Members approached her with the idea. They felt she would be a good representative of their organization, so Myers decided to go for it. 

“It’s a way to not only show my pride in Alpha Delta Pi but also just to represent UMKC well and also my organizations,” said Myers. 

She felt that her involvement and leadership experience made her a qualified candidate. 

“Whenever you think of someone who runs for Roo Royalty it’s a lot of people that have had that leadership experience and that can speak highly not only of UMKC but your organization,” said Myers.

Myers looks forward to seeing the student body come together during Court Warming week. 

“I love the events,” said Myers. “I’m really looking forward to just getting to have fun with all the other candidates.” 

Ciara Kane

Photo provided by Ciara Kane

Junior Ciara Kane, a business administration major, is the candidate for Delta Zeta.

In her sorority, Kane has held multiple leadership roles. She was the panhellenic delegate, sisterhood chair, and vice president of sisterhood.

Beyond that, she has worked as a social media correspondent for HerCampus and served as the vice president of marketing for Panhellenic last fall. 

Kane felt that her dedication to Greek life set her apart as a candidate.  

“I feel like I’ve done so much for Panhellenic and Greek life in general,” said Kane.

Though she is the one running this year, Kane said that she had helped girls in her sorority with Court Warming events like “Yell Like Hell” before. 

As Kane is graduating this year, she said that a win would be a nice way to conclude her time in college. It would provide a sense of recognition for the work she’s done over the years.  

“It would give a reason as to why I tried so hard in Panhellenic and DZ,” said Kane. “It would wrap it up and end on a positive note.” 

Anna Decker

Photo provided by Anna Decker.

Junior Anna Decker, a psychology major on the pre-med track, is the candidate representing Chi Omega.

Decker said most of her involvement has been related to Greek life. She is part of the Greek Week committee and has held multiple leadership roles within her sorority. 

“Right now I’m the director of programming but I was also the house manager and foundations ambassador,” said Decker. 

Decker considered her time living in the Chi Omega house to be one of her favorite parts of college, as it connected her to the school community. 

“I got so close with everyone and it made me so connected with campus,” said Decker.

That desire to engage with the community was why Decker said she chose to run. 

“I thought it was a really great opportunity to get everyone involved,” said Decker. 

Imari Roach

Photo provided by Imari Roach

Senior Imari Roach, a health science major, is the candidate for the track and field team. She joined the team in her sophomore year. Though she doesn’t have an official leadership position on the team, Roach felt that she naturally took on that role. 

“In track and field I’m seen as one of the people they look up to,” said Roach. “I like to encourage people and make sure they’re advocating for themselves. I take that role in making sure they have somebody by their side when they need help.” 

Outside of her sport, Roach is part of the African-American Student Union, African-Americans Cultivating Excellence, and is a First-Gen Roo. 

Though involved in multiple organizations, Roach said that it was more challenging to run without the support of a larger organization.

“When you have people to back you it’s a lot easier for you to shine,” Said Roach. “When there’s no one really in your corner it shows a lot more of your character.” 

Roach said that her authenticity set her apart as a candidate. She hoped to show that being Roo Royalty is about character, not connections.

“You don’t have to be a figurehead in some type of organization to be a Roo Royalty,” said Roach. “All you have to do is be genuine, be kind to people, spread love, and support people. The people you support will support you.” 

Jameilla Robinson

Photo provided by Jameilla Robinson

First-year MBA student, Jameilla Robinson is the candidate representing Alpha Phi Omega. Robinson is connected to UMKC in multiple ways, both as an employee and student. She works as a program coordinator for two entrepreneurship programs.  

Beyond that, she is the president of the Pre-Law Society and KROO radio, the vice president of Outlaws, and co-chair of the Diversity Student Council. For Alpha Phi Omega she is the rush coordinator. 

Robinson felt that her wide involvement made her the ideal candidate for Roo Royalty. 

“I received my bachelor’s from UMKC, I returned for my MBA,” Robinson said. “I work at UMKC. I lead several organizations.”

Robinson said that she wanted to run for Roo Royalty to show other people that they shouldn’t place limits on themselves. 

“I’m a nontraditional student in every sense of the word,” Robinson said. “I decided to be part of that to be an inspiration to people who think that they can’t do something or that it’s too late.”

Though Robinson recognized that winning is the goal, it was not her sole purpose in running. 

“If I can inspire just one person to go back to school, to enroll, finish that degree or even start that degree I feel like I’ve done what I was supposed to do,” said Robinson. “Crown or not.” 

Online voting will close on Friday, Feb. 9 at 8 p.m. Voting will only be occurring online via RooGroups at https://cglink.me/2n2/s678.