A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy BlantonApril 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Opinion: Navigating the Year of Mindful Choices: Embracing ‘In/Out Lists’ for a Purposeful 2024

Exploring Trends of Self-Care and Sustainability in the Age of Slowing Down
Alexandrea Erisman

With a new year comes a new trend for making resolutions. “In/Out Lists” have been taking social media by storm since the final weeks of December. 

While some have clear intentions to promote brands, products and blatant consumerism, my feed has featured an abundance of self-care and anti-capitalist propaganda. 

2024 has been dubbed the year of the slowdown, making conscious decisions about who and what people to support. 

Mindfulness is a key component to maintaining balance in our fast-paced lifestyles. 

“In-and-Out lists are particular to their makers, incorporating personal tastes and beliefs, sense of humor, and informed (or uninformed) predictions to create a vision for the year ahead,” wrote Jessica Roy for The New York Times.

Alexandrea Erisman

The important “ins” that have stuck with me this month are not minimizing yourself to please others, swapping clothes with your friends, DIY crafts with recyclable items, board game nights, keeping a sourdough starter alive and so many more affirming ways to re-root oneself. 

Everyone’s perception of comfort is different, but the purpose is to find the things you enjoy and do them wholeheartedly.

As for the “outs,” they are just as beneficial for the mind and body’s well-being. Instant gratification and self-doubt are among the top two I’ve seen so far.

Other non-sustainable methods are on the downward course for many this season including doom-scrolling, complicated skincare, book-banning and buying fast fashion.

“It feels more like people’s personal manifestation rather than what they actually think is going to be trending,” said Mandy Lee (@oldloserinbrooklyn on Instagram), a TikTokker and professional trend forecaster.

Although it can seem a little overwhelming to know which trends to follow or ditch as well as which companies are being boycotted, the best anyone can do is what is right for them. 

These kinds of lists can be helpful to follow or form ideas, but there is value in spotting the dubious sales or promotional tactics that some may offer. 

Not all fads are evil, but not all of them need to cost money, time or energy.