Opinion: It’s Not Normal To Know Taylor Swift’s Starbucks Order

Why are we so obsessed with celebrities?
Photo by DESIGNECOLOGIST on Unsplash
Exploring the impact of parasocial relationships in the social media age.

Unless you’ve stayed inside and haven’t owned a phone in the last three months, you know about the relationship between mega-pop star Taylor Swift and Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce

The media has been following the case like it’s an Earth-shattering revelation that will change the trajectory of humanity– and for some people, it is.

The stir around this relationship is just one of the countless examples of Taylor Swift’s fans doing whatever they can to know every detail of the megastar’s personal life and participate in it. 

Some Swifties have gone above and beyond being a celebrity’s average fan: they obsess over her relationships, go to Starbucks and order her drink, pay up to $20,000 to see her in concert, and harass anyone who criticizes her

Whether they realize it or not, they’re actually in a parasocial relationship with the singer; they truly believe they have some kind of friendship with her.

Feeling like you know a celebrity on an intimate level, constantly checking their social media, and spending significant amounts of money on their products are all signs that you may be in a parasocial relationship. 

With the rise of social media, these types of relationships are becoming more and more common.

This obsession is not just with Taylor Swift either – Harry Styles, Beyonce, and the members of BTS are all known for having fan bases that exhibit this kind of behavior in an intense way. 

This isn’t a new phenomenon, though. Previous generations had the same feelings for Elvis or The Beatles.

Parasocial relationships are normal, and when kept reasonable, they are harmless. However, I truly do not think that they are beneficial in any way. Sure, some celebrities are incredibly talented and deserve praise, but they are not meant to be close friends. 

Instead of memorizing facts about Taylor Swift or Harry Styles, spend time with your peers. 

They may not be megastars, but that’s probably a good thing. Their friendship is real and within reach. 

Spending all of your time pursuing a one-sided relationship is unproductive. Everyone has at least one person in their life that is worth getting to know just as much as Taylor Swift.