What to Expect for Kansas City’s First Fridays

Photo taken by Rex Stickney/RooNews

Taking place on the first Friday of every month, artists, food trucks, and vendors set up at the Crossroads Arts District in Kansas City to participate in “First Fridays” and to celebrate the community.

The event has been a monthly tradition for years, where thousands of visitors come together and support the businesses. If it is your first time attending Kansas City’s First Fridays, here are some things to expect during the event.

1. Galleries and Artist Studios

For those interested in viewing art and looking to relax, be sure to check out one of the many art galleries to see how these professional artists express themselves. A variety of local, national, and international artists are featured in the exhibits. Some of the participating local art venues include: Belger Arts Center, Belger Crane Yard Studios, Buttonwood Art Space, Jones Gallery, Leedy-Voulkos Art Center, and Sherry Leedy Contemporary Art.

2. Food Truck Plaza

In the Food Truck Plaza, visitors are able to try variations of different dishes ranging from barbeque, tacos, po’boys, burritos and more. A handful of locally owned food trucks participate in every First Fridays to bring awareness to their businesses. It is located at 1907 Grand, Kansas City, MO. 64108. Stop by the Food Truck Plaza if you want to grab a quick bite before exploring the art alleys!

3. Art Alleys and Vendors

Artists and vendors have the opportunity to set up tables to show and sell their artwork along the Art Alleys. They are located between Baltimore and Wyandotte from 18th Street to Southwest Blvd. This is one of the most rewarding experiences, and getting to see all the unique art pieces will definitely not disappoint.

4. Live music

Occasionally, live music can be heard through the streets as you explore around. There are musicians who will play instruments on the street within the Festival Boundary. Many Crossroads businesses will host live musical performances as well.

5. Kansas City’s Famous Murals

When you have the free time, find the famous Kansas City murals, and take pictures in front of them. There are several within walking distance in the Crossroads Arts District. They will make for great mementos to remember your experience attending the event. Street art can be seen in just about every alley. Some of the most famous murals located in the Crossroads Art District include: #KCLOVES, Kansas City I’m So In Love, Kansas City Chiefs Kingdom mural and many more.

First Fridays begin at 5 p.m. and lasts until 9 p.m., depending on when each gallery closes. Although the September event has already ended, make sure to join the next First Fridays on Oct. 7!