Three Local Women-Owned Businesses to Support this Women’s History Month

Cafe Cà Phê, Café Corazón, and Fannie’s West African Cuisine are all women-owned businesses to support Women’s History Month in Kansas City. (Instagram)

In the spirit of Women’s History Month, it is important to promote local women-owned businesses in Kansas City. Here are three businesses to support that may even lead you to find a new favorite coffee shop or restaurant.

Cafe Cà Phê – 1717 Washington St.

Cafe Cà Phê is a business owned by Jackie Nguyen. It opened in 2020 and is the first Vietnamese coffee shop in Kansas City. They serve coffee grown in Vietnam with a variety of specialty drinks that reflect Vietnamese culture. The most popular drink on its menu is their “Hella Good Latte,” which features ube (purple yam), oat milk, Vietnamese espresso and condensed milk drizzle. 

Nguyen’s goal is to focus on allyship and fight against racism in Kansas City to make sure that no matter who you are, there is a home for you at her coffee shop. If you are searching for a unique business to try, buy a cup of coffee and support Cafe Cà Phê.

Café Corazón – 1721 Westport Rd.

Miel Castagna-Herrera is the owner of Café Corazón and operates the business with her family. They have operated in the Westport area since 2019. Recently, they also expanded their reach to a second location on Crossroads, 110 Southwest Blvd. 

They specialize in Latin American coffee drinks and yerba maté herbal teas. Their “beyond fair trade” coffee is roasted locally at Messenger Coffee Co. and their yerba maté brands are imported from Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay. Some popular items on their menu include house-made horchata, mocha tea lattes, Argentinian sweets and tamales. For a limited time, they have created a new spring beverage called “Como la Flor” as an homage to the late singer Selena Quintanilla-Pérez for Women’s History Month. 

Castagna-Herrera noticed there wasn’t much representation of where coffee comes from, so she decided to open her own coffee shop to show how her culture brews coffee. If you are interested in how Latin American coffee tastes, support Café Corazón.

Fannie’s West African Cuisine – 4105 Troost Ave.

Fannie’s West African Cuisine, owned by Fannie Gibson, is also a wonderful woman-owned restaurant in Kansas City. Fannie opened her Troost location in 2018, serving authentic traditional dishes from different parts of Africa. One of the most popular dishes to try is fufu, made from either cassava, yam or plantain. It is similar to mashed potatoes and traditionally eaten dipped in soup. 

Gibson immigrated to the United States in the 80s due to the Civil War in Liberia. She wanted to create a restaurant where people can experience her native cuisine and provide a place for those in the same situation as her who miss eating their traditional dishes. If you are interested in trying authentic West African cuisine, consider supporting Fannie Gibson’s restaurant.

These three restaurants are just some of the many women-owned businesses here in Kansas City. They share a common goal of allyship, sharing their culture, and empowering women to achieve their dreams. Remember to try different restaurants and support local women-owned businesses for Women’s History Month.