A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy BlantonApril 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Aydan Stigler and Grace BeshoreMarch 14, 2024

Opinion: From Catwalk to Campus: KC Fashion Week Trends for UMKC Students

The diverse style spectrum of KCFW ‘24 and its impact on campus fashion.
KCFW+was+held+at+Union+Station.+
Catie Walker
KCFW was held at Union Station.

Local fashion designers debuted colorful collections at Union Station this March during the Spring/Summer 2024 Kansas City Fashion Week (KCFW). 

Runway fashion often trickles down onto campus, influencing the styles of students. Here is a look at what KCFW trends we might spot on campus this semester. 

Primary, bright colors were spotted on the runway this season. Colors like royal blue, firetruck red and Kelly green graced the runway in many collections. 

“Bolder, brighter colors are on the rise,” said KCFW designer Alexia King. “Especially with the beige millennial and clean girl trends coming to an end.” 

Chaotic colors can add a pop of personality to any outfit. I think we will see them most in small doses, like in bags and shoes. 

In addition to loud colors, the looks included lots of maximalist patterns. Floral prints were large and blocky. Other fabrics featured plaid, stripes, and newspaper prints.

I could see these patterns incorporated into the campus’ athleisure style with patterned athletic clothes.  

Models walking on the runway. (Catie Walker)

Pleated skirts were another runway staple. Knife pleats were on the catwalk, a style that lends well to tennis skirts. This matches the campus’s athletic and comfort-focused style. 

As the weather warms up, tennis skirts might pop up as an alternative to our beloved athletic shorts. 

King’s collection featured a feminine style on both feminine and masculine bodies due to the rise in gender-neutral clothing. 

Many designers chose to feature androgynous styles that are designed for all bodies. Reduce Fashion showed their collection titled “The Duality of Man.” It featured different silhouettes both on men and women. 

Created by designers Hannah Kleman and Katie Ciolino, Reduce Fashion uses “recycled material to reduce textile waste.” 

The Reduce Fashion website says people can help by reducing the purchasing of new clothes and in favor of thrifting and mending old ones. 

Upcycled fashion already exists on campus and will continue through the year. Thrift stores are typically cheap and are a great option for students on a budget. 

This season’s KCFW runway featured a variety of styles, colors and patterns. Regardless of the latest fashions, confidence in personal style is always on trend. 

For more information about KCFW, click here.