Breaking Barriers: Goofball Sk8boards Paving the Way for Accessibility in Skateboarding

Skating for All: Goofball’s Ambitious Goal of Free Access for Everyone
++Inside+the+Goofball+Sk8boards+shop.
Jazlyn Summers
Inside the Goofball Sk8boards shop.

Goofball Sk8boards, a queer-owned LGBTQ+ safe space, aims to be more accessible in the future of skateboarders in Kansas City. 

“Our goal this year is to make our park free for everyone,” said Co-owner and Business Director Joan Rose. “We recognize that if you don’t have the money to come skate here, then that’s not an accessible space.”

Owners Harper and Joan Rose established their business in 2023 after discovering their mutual love for skateboarding and building a mini ramp in their garage. 

Owners Joan and Harper Rose. (Jazlyn Summers)

“The amount I was able to progress because we had this space was incredible,” said Co-owner and Artistic Director Harper Rose. “I was like, ‘what if there was just a place for people to learn skateboarding, where you don’t have to be the best, you can just learn at your own pace and no one’s judging you or anything like that?’”  

The overall goal of the company is to be a safe space for everyone, regardless of sexuality or gender. 

“For a lot of people, skate parks can be really intimidating and it might not be the safest place to go alone, especially as a woman or a queer person,” Rose said. “If you’ve been curious about skating and you know, either anxiety or the idea that you’re too old to skate is stopping you– Come through here. We’d love to have you.”

Goofball Sk8boards also uses its space to host a multitude of clubs around Kansas City, including DecarcerateKC and Neithor-Nor Zine Club.

The daily admission for the park is currently $10 per person. Skaters can also purchase a 30-day pass for $70. 

The owners have created a GoFundMe to raise funds towards free admission, and donations can be made here. To learn more, visit their website