Setting Sail in Hawaii: Kansas City Softball Preps for the Season Kickoff

Navigating Adversity: Lessons Learned from a Challenging 2023 Season
Julia Kapros
Coach Stokes-O’Connor leads the charge into the 2024 season

Coming out of their last season with a 9-43 record, Roos softball can only go up as they venture into the spring 2024 season. 

“It was just a lot of growing pains. Anytime you’re walking into a new program you gotta expect a rebuild and being able to plant your own roots,” said Head Coach, Kiki Stokes-O’Connor, who joined the program last spring. “Last year was a bit of a struggle.”

Offensively, the team aims to work on not leaving runners on base this season. 

“We would constantly get runners in scoring position but couldn’t score those runs, so that’s gonna be a huge piece we focus on,” said Stokes-O’Connor. 

Senior pitcher Camryn Stickel said, “I think going into the second year with the new coaching staff and players, there may be a few rough spots because we haven’t really played a full game together, but things are gonna fall into place with the coaching staff.”

Stickel has been playing softball since she was eight years old.

“It’s bittersweet. I’m excited for this year and I’m ready to have fun for my last year, but I’m also ready to graduate and be done,” said Stickel. 

On the defensive side, freshman Chloe Kohnhorst is looking forward to her first college season behind the plate.

“I’m really looking forward to traveling and just getting to experience what that’s like at the collegiate level,” said Kohnhorst. “Personally, as a catcher, I want to be super loud and vocal. I want to show that my presence is making a difference and that I have my pitcher’s back.”

Kansas City’s softball team opens their season in Manoa, Hawaii on February 8th, 2024. The team will face off against the BYU Cougars at 2:30 p.m. central and Nevada Wolf Pack at 7:30 p.m. central. Live stats can be found here