Students Juggle Part-Time Pressures Among Soaring Living Costs

The modern student experience includes increasing financial strain
Photo by Kenny Eliason on Unsplash
Students navigate the strain of part-time jobs in today’s economic landscape.

Students working part-time are being put through more stress than ever due to the large number of hours they are working to support themselves.

With the rising cost of living expenses, it would only seem natural for students to be forced to work to stay afloat. However, there are still stereotypes perpetuating that previous generations have had to work much harder than students today.

“I don’t think it’s possible for students to support themselves off of the money from a part-time job,” said architectural studies major Makenna Baylie. “The cost of school is insanely high and as prices are rising for everything in stores, it’s too hard for students to keep up with their classes and work.”
  Over 81% of students nationwide work part-time jobs to support themselves in between their courses. With 93% of the student population living off campus, many students use part-time jobs and internships to make money until they are able to get a full-time job after graduation.

In 2013, the average student worked 19 hours a week. Now in 2023, surveys show the average college student works 25 to 30 hours a week.

Over 100 students are employed with on-campus jobs, and UMKC provides opportunities for more students to earn money with the use of a technology platform that posts campus jobs.

“It was pretty easy for me to find a job because our campus has Handshake,” said film studies major Jordan Devoy.

Even with these opportunities available, it’s still significantly harder for students to support themselves in today’s economic climate. Generally, rent in Kansas City costs around $1300 per month for one person.
  “It isn’t optimal to support yourself off a part-time job because the world is expensive,” said nursing major Bethany Markham. “By the time you take out rent, car insurance, gas, utilities, clothing and food, it just doesn’t seem manageable.”

Students are now primarily using financial assistance like taking out loans, finding roommates to lower rent and living with their families through college to save money.