The decision was made on May 23, 2024.
University of Missouri Board approves 3-5% tuition increase for 2024-2025 academic year
Evelyn Berger, Intern • July 12, 2024

The University of Missouri board of Curators has approved a 3-5% undergraduate and graduate tuition increase for the 2024-2025 academic year.   ...

Banner and KC skyline at Boulevardia.
Boulevardia 2024: Kansas City's ultimate urban music fest rocks Crown Center
Catie Walker, Staff Writer • June 20, 2024

Kansas City partied last weekend on Grand Boulevard at Crown Center for Boulevardia 2024, KC’s largest urban street music festival. The...

Taking place from June 7-9, the event featured performers, businesses and other organizations.
Kansas City PrideFest: A vibrant celebration of love and acceptance
Catie Walker and Evelyn BergerJune 11, 2024

Kansas City celebrated the LGBTQ+ community at the 47th annual PrideFest and parade this weekend at Theis Park.    “Pride gives the...

Scary Cherry Talks Performing at UMKC Drag Show

Scary Cherry is putting the ‘death’ in death drop
The performer poses in a signature look.
Provided by Scary Cherry

UMKC’s Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA) Council hosted “Lights Out, Frights Out,” a Halloween-themed drag show featuring performers from the Kansas City drag scene, as well as four student performers.

One of the community performers is Scary Cherry, a local queen who specializes in elements of “death and macabre.” Her alternative and horrifying style celebrates absurdity, oddities and all things spooky. 

“I like to make sure the audience is confused whether I’m flirting with them or trying to kill them,” Scary Cherry said.

Scary Cherry has performed at numerous venues throughout Kansas City, including Hamburger Mary’s, Gael’s Public House & Sports, and she has weekly shows at Missie B’s on Monday mornings celebrating all the “freaks, weirdos and outcasts” of Kansas City.

Despite her unique style, Scary Cherry has found a home in Kansas City’s drag scene, which she says is diverse and accepting of all performance styles. 

“My experience in the scene is very good–I’ve felt nothing but welcoming energy,” Scary Cherry said. “People have always encouraged me to be different, and also to be weird.”

According to Scary Cherry, performances at UMKC are categorized by the unmatched energy of the audience. She performed during Pride Month celebrations in the spring and says she looks forward to coming back to the Student Union Theater. 

“I loved [UMKC]. I love the energy of the crowd–everyone is so kind and caring towards the performers,” Scary Cherry said. “They always want to make sure like, ‘Oh, you’re doing okay.’ I’m very excited to perform for Halloween.”

Although SAGA has hosted drag shows at UMKC for years, this month’s show comes after a year filled with headlines about drag queens as groomers and predators. In recent years, there has been a significant amount of backlash regarding drag performers, especially in performances with children present. 

Scary Cherry describes how the “drag hysteria” has affected local performers. 

“I think this whole stigma around drag did affect me because a lot of people [were perpetuating the idea] that all drag queens are these pedophiles and predators, which is so untrue,” she said. “Drag artists just want to mind their own business, have fun and perform. Most drag queens don’t even like kids … I just don’t understand why people think that.”

Follow her Instagram @scarycherry_kc to see more of Scary Cherry and to see where she’ll be performing next.