Roos Desperate For Momentum Leading Up to Summit League Tournament

The Kansas City Roos look to end the season on a high note.

Lane Mayo, Staff Writer

On the precipice of the 2023 Summit League tournament, the Kansas City Roos women’s basketball program is in dire straits. 

With six consecutive losses, the Roos (3-13 conference, 7-20 overall) have guaranteed themselves the tenth seed heading into Sioux Falls, SD next week with two games left in the regular season.

Kansas City is coming off their worst statistical scoring performance of the season last Saturday. They amassed a measly 39 points on 14-68 (20.6%) shooting, in what was a 39-61 rout on the road against North Dakota. 

Sophomore forward Tamia Ugass recorded a season-high 22 rebounds, although this statistic is rather insignificant given the fact that the Roos missed 54 of their 68 total shots.

At this point in the season, Kansas City ought to be performing at its best, efficiently scoring at a high level worthy enough of competing in the Summit League. Unfortunately, they seem to have taken massive steps backward, as their recent run of play has been nothing short of abysmal.

With the departures of former head coach Jacie Hoyt alongside a handful of graduate students last season, many within the program had the inkling that this season could be a potential “rebuilding” year. 

However, no one within the organization would have expected the outcome. With roughly a week left until the Summit League tournament, Kansas City is on the cusp of achieving its worst overall season in over eight years.

The midseason departures of junior forward Dani Winslow, senior guard RaVon Nero and freshman guards Grace Graham and Aunisty Smith have greatly impacted the overall depth of the program. The lengthy injuries to E’Lease Stafford and Sanaa’ St. Andre took their toll on the roster as well. 

The lack of roster depth has left Roos’ head coach Dionnah Jackson-Durrett to play rather short-handed compared to the rest of the Summit League, as her roster of just 10 individuals is three fewer than the next lowest team.

This collection of circumstances has led the team to where they are today. They are only a couple of losses away from having just the second 22+ loss season in the program’s 35-year history, with only the 2000-2001 Roos team having more. 

In order to try and avoid this statistic from becoming a reality, they must find a way to score a victory in at least one their final two matchups, those being against the top-ranked South Dakota State Jackrabbits (16-0 conference, 23-5 overall ) and the South Dakota Coyotes (8-8 conference, 12-15 overall).

To catch the Roos’ final homestand of the season, go to kcroos.com to purchase tickets or listen to KRoo’s radio stream here.