The Roos Fell Short Against the Wichita State Shockers as they Lose All Three Sets

The Kansas City Roos were unable to win any set against the Wichita State Shockers. (Julia Kapros/RooNews)

Savannah Moore, Writer

The Roo’s had quite the week as they took on the Kansas Jayhawks on Wednesday, the Northern Illinois Huskies on Friday, and ended it against the Wichita State Shockers. The Roos struggled heavily and lost three sets to zero. 

Compared to Wednesday’s game against KU, the Roos had a hard time attacking the ball against Wichita State’s Morgan Stout who put up seven blocks. The Roos struggled with keeping the ball alive and playing out of system, which ultimately cost them significant points along with their seven service errors. 

In the third set, it looked like a Kansas City win as both teams were battling, but most importantly to keep the Roos alive and move into a fourth set. Outside hitter Raina Smith showed off her skills as she put up a total of 12 kills on the night. Behind her was graduate middle blocker Georgia Mullins with a total of six. Swinney got rowdy as both teams played point for point with a total score of 31-29.  Ultimately, the Roo’s couldn’t pull off the third set win and ended the week with a 3-6 record. 

Leaders for the Roos include freshman setter Sydney Henry with her 12 assists, senior setter Kennedy Schritenthal who had a total of 14 digs, and junior middle blocker Carly Gillen who also put up a total of three blocks. For the Shockers, Kayce Litzau performed well with a total of 35 assists, Lily Liekweg defended 13 attacks while Brylee Kelly led her team in kills with 15 total. 

The Roos will play the Kansas State Wildcats at Swinney Center on Wednesday, September 14th at 7 p.m. The Wildcats are 8-2 as of Saturday’s win against St. Thomas in Minnesota. The Roos hope they can pull off a win and upset the Wildcats to start a good week of Roo volleyball.