briefly mentioned: Student housing approved for Hospital Hill campus

Nathan Zoschke

A $29.3 million housing development near the Hospital Hill campus was approved by the UM System Board of Curators last Thursday.

The plan calls for a layout similar to the Oak Place Apartments, with 252 beds and a 196-space adjacent garage.

Bob Simmons, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Administration, said housing for Hospital Hill has been part of the UMKC master plan for several years.

UMKC is in the process of soliciting proposals it expects to present at the next Board of Curators meeting in April.

Simmons said student safety is a priority.

“Security is important, as it is on any campus,” he said. “Particularly on a developer property, it’s important to have well-lit pedestrian connections.”

The leading site contender is at the southeast corner of 24th and Troost, a location that has civic support as part of a plan to redevelop the Beacon Hill neighborhood southeast of Downtown Kansas City.

The site is owned by Beacon Hill Developers, which received state approval in December for $4.3 million in tax credits to build a parking garage for student housing.

The property will be owned by UMKC, although a private developer and architect will be chosen through a selection process.

The project will be financed by a combination of UM System bonds and tax credits.