Intelligence, the torch of wisdom

Founded at Howard University by 22 African American undergraduates on Jan. 13, 1913, the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority has grown to over 200,000 members. Notable Deltas have included civil rights activist Mary McLeod Bethune, singer Aretha Franklin and politician Shirley Chisholm.

Delta women have marched for women’s suffrage, participated in public policy in the nation’s capital and hosted mentorship and service programs – all in an effort to create change within their communities. Past President, Cynthia M.A. Butler-McIntyre, noted at the fiftieth national convention two years ago that, “Delta Sigma Theta is not a monument but a movement.”

In Kansas City, a citywide chapter of Delta Sigma Theta provides membership to students at UMKC, William Jewell, Rockhurst University, Avila University, and Park University.

The Lambda Epsilon City-Wide Chapter of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority was chartered March 16, 1974.This year marks the 100th anniversary of the inception of Delta Sigma Theta.

With galas and service projects, hundreds of Sorors descended on Washington D.C the weekend of January 11th. Their celebration began with a gathering at Howard University for a day of public service projects around the city, continued with a luncheon and gala on Saturday and culminated Sunday with an ecumenical service and black-tie dinner at the Washington Convention Center.

Although the Ladies of the Lambda Epsilon chapter did not go to Washington, D.C. for the festivities, they have celebratory events planned for the upcoming week.

At 7:13 p.m. Mon., Jan. 28 in the Student Union, there will be a class to learn about fiscal responsibilities with a twist. Tue., Jan. 29, in Johnson Hall they will offer a class on self-defense and give out healthy smoothies. On Wed. in the Johnson Hall Lounge, the ladies will explore different cuisines. At 7:13 p.m. Thurs. the story of Stan “Tookie” Williams, founder of the Crips L.A. street gang, will be shown in the Multicultural Student Affairs Office Village. Fri. at the Culture House, the Ladies of Delta Sigma Theta will “REDiscover” their Roots, with a journey through African American history. The week culminates with a Service Project at the Cornerstones of Care; a RSVP is necessary for this event.

Jasmine Bryant, ΔΣΘ – LE Chapter President ,noted “Lambda Epsilon is unique at UMKC because all of ΔΣΘ programming is focused in areas relating to the 5 point programmatic thrust: Educational Development, Physical and Mental Health, International Awareness and Involvement, Economic Development and lastly Physical and Mental health.  Delta Sigma Theta is unlike any of the other sororities on campus.”