briefly mentioned

Roze Brooks

School of Nursing online graduate program ranked No. 15 in U.S.

U.S. News & World Report ranked UMKC’s School of Nursing as No. 15 among the nation’s Top 20 best online graduate nursing programs. The magazine analyzed data for 471 programs.

This ranking surpasses the other public universities in Missouri or Kansas.

UMKC has offered online graduate programs since 2004.

The ranking’s criteria included admissions selectivity, faculty credentials, accreditation, student engagement and student services and technology.

School of Nursing receives $2.4 million grant

The UMKC School of Nursing recently received a $2.4 million federal grant to offer full scholarships to underrepresented  undergraduate nursing students

The grant, awarded by the Federal Health Resources and Services Administration, will assist 240 students, offering scholarships of $10,000 per year over a four year period.

Underrepresented groups include men, African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, American Indians or Alaskan natives.

Preference for the scholarships will be given to students with an educationally disadvantaged background, first generation college students and those from a county where less than 50 percent of the residents have an education beyond high school.

Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA or above to retain the scholarship.

Medical School, Computing and Engineering partner to advance orthopedic research

Akin Cil, M.D, associate professor of orthopedic surgery and Trent M. Guess, Ph.D., an associate professor of mechanical engineering have been selected for the Franklin D. Dickson/Missouri Professorship in Orthopedic Research.

This endowment professorship between the UMKC School of Medicine and School of Computing and Engineering combines the medical school’s clinical expertise in elbow orthopedics and the engineering school’s computational biomechanical expertise in one collaborative study of the relationships of the upper-extremity musculoskeletal system.

This pairing strives to find improved treatment for elbow joint trauma.

James Hamilton, M.D., chair and professor emeritus of orthopedic surgery at the medical school, established the endowment for the positions.

Specific aims of the program include development of computational models of the human elbow to replicate the joint’s mechanical behavior, and to develop treatment strategies to manage trauma to the joint and surrounding ligament reconstruction.

School of Medicine Dean Betty M. Drees, M.D., F.A.C.P, and School of Computing and Engineering Dean Kevin Z. Truman, Ph. D, announced the appointments.

The professorship is named in honor of one of the School of Medicine orthopedic surgery department founders Franklin D. Dickson, M.D., and the Dickson-Diveley Orthopedic Surgery Clinic.