The LGBT community needs to stop the counter-hate

Kharissa Forte

As a Christian, I am against same-sex marriage.

Why is it that by adhering to this Biblical standard I am viewed as hateful? Despite the fact that I am genuinely kind and considerate toward gay people, I am categorized as a hateful person by many.

My character speaks just the opposite, and I am a little fed up—for a lack of better words—with the counter-hate that Christians are forced to suffer from some members of the LGBT community. I often hear some gay students tsk-ing, performing exaggerated sighs and see them rolling their eyes at the bare mention of the word “God” or “Christian” or “pastor.” The rude looks and discourteous sound effects are the very things that they don’t want done to them. Here’s the truth of the matter: Agreeing with the stance that gay couples should not be allowed to enter a traditional marriage because it redefines the Biblical definition of marriage is not hate.

I believe that any form of discrimination based upon sexual orientation – whether by an average Joe or by the government—is unacceptable. I believe that gay people should be able to have the same rights and privileges as married couples as they pertain to insurance, taxes and other policies.

But I do not believe that it should be called a traditional marriage. I believe it should be called a civil union.

My reason is that marriage—in order to not disrespect or invalidate other beliefs—should not be redefined, but expanded. While it would not be recognized as a traditional marriage, a civil union would fall under the marriage umbrella in which gay couples would inherit the same rights and privileges. By doing this, everyone is satisfied.

With politics ruling the airwaves this year, the topic of gay marriage has stayed near the forefront of the media and daily conversations.

UMKC was ranked 5th on Newsweek’s Gay-Friendly College Rankings list, and I think that’s beautiful. I think that it shows that our university is loving and accepting of different lifestyles. I don’t think, however, that we would rank quite as high if it were a Christian-friendly list. I am not blind to the fact that not all Christians treat gay people nicely, and I apologize for every incident of discrimination that they have faced. But, I am curious to know why simply not agreeing on a stance is equated with hate. How is that fair?

I constantly find myself smiling and nodding as I mentally rehearse my words in order to ensure that I don’t offend anyone. Yet, I have witnessed and experienced more gay people—especially at UMKC—spitting out the rudest comments and most hurtful words about Christianity.

For example, when Chik-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy appeared on the Ken Coleman Show, he made it clear that he does not believe in gay marriage.

Well, of course he doesn’t. Chik-fil-A is a restaurant with Christian foundation and consequently, Biblical truths.

LGBT students were quick to discuss organizing a protest to have the Chick-fil-A in the Student Union removed from campus.

Why? Isn’t that hypocritical?

Even though neither the protest nor the removal of the restaurant ever took place, I find it very interesting that gay students and supporters of gay marriage were ready to obliterate a facility for upholding the standards of its foundation.

Not once did the CEO ever say anything mean-spirited, disrespectful or demeaning nor did he discriminate towards members of the gay community. Dan Cathy simply answered the question.

I guess Christians are expected to just sit by, count to three and take the abuse. No, not anymore. Ironically, some of the world’s most esteemed quotes are Bible verses. One of those is the golden rule: “Do to others as you would have them do to you,” can be found in Luke 6:31.  While I expect Christians to be nothing short of loving, kind and respectful toward homosexuals, I also expect homosexuals to treat Christians with the same regard they desire.