‘Number One Magazine’ accepts submissions for its 2012 edition

Roze Brooks

Number One Magazine, a student-run literary magazine at UMKC, has opened submissions for its 64th volume and 2012 edition, which will publish in spring 2013.

Number One publishes one volume each year, hence its name.

Submissions, which are due by Dec. 1, are not limited by major. A wide variety of written work accepted for publication includes short fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, plays, screenplays, flash fiction, photography and visual artwork.

“Artistically, the name Number One suggests the individuality of the people published in its pages, and also the urge for excellence,” co-Editor-in-Chief Nicholas Sawin said.

Number One Magazine’s staff is comprised of graduate and undergraduate students, and accepts submissions from the same audience.

Sawin and co-Editor-in-Chief Elizabeth Cook, both creative writing and media arts graduate students, manage the entire staff’s tasks, from publicity to marketing and branding.

Once submissions are received, a panel of judges considers and ultimately selects the pieces to be included in the final product.  Sawin said this is a tedious, yet rewarding process since there is a limited number of pages each year.

The magazine will also establish an online presence this year.

“We launched a new website and are publishing last year’s journal in weekly installments,” Sawin said. “Our online distribution takes us into many more homes,”

He hopes that implementing color photos on each page, which allows room for more visual artwork submissions than previous years, will enhance Number One’s appeal.

“A thriving and diverse student literary journal featuring award-winning content is a key way for universities to support the artwork of its students, furthering their careers and broadcasting their talents both inside academia and outside to the professional world,” Sawin said.

Working for the magazine offers opportunities in a college setting and establishes skills needed in future careers. Sawin said that having two editors, one older and one younger, promotes continuity and stability.

“Our staff develops skills in public relations, marketing and branding, social media and web presence, design, copy-editing, encouraging submissions, and so forth,” Sawin said.

“But on an aesthetic level, being a student-run publication means that we are closer in age to the artists we publish, which gives us a common frame of reference.  We are more likely to publish something experimental that a traditional, professionally-run journal might not understand.”

The magazine has been printed for decades by Walsworth Print Group, the same printer of UMKC’s New Letters.

Once the carbon copies of the final product return, a spring launch party is held for the staff and contributing writers. Authors get to present original work and network with other artists.

“Students are drawn to publish in Number One Magazine because they need an outlet for self-expression, and this magazine is a great way to broadcast their creative efforts to the UMKC campus and the Kansas City community,” Sawin said.

To learn more about Number One Magazine, visit www.numberonemagazine.org. Submissions may be emailed to [email protected].