New garage welcomes commuters

Nathan Zoschke

The $23.1 million state-of-the-art Cherry Street Garage is now in use, filling a void created by the demolition of the Oak Street Parking Structure in May 2011.

With 1,500 spaces, Cherry Street is more than double the capacity of its predecessor. Built as a temporary structure in 1960, Oak Street lacked wheelchair accessibility and was 20 years past its useful life when it was demolished. According to Parking Operations Director Michelle Cone, the facility had exceeded its capacity several times in the fall 2010 semester, when plans to build the new garage were announced.

In addition, Cherry Street now houses the UMKC Police and Mail Services, which relocated out of the 4825 Troost building.

It also boasts a number of convenience features. Covered pedestrian bridges connect the garage to the James C. Olson Performing Arts Center and Student Union.

Electric car charging stations and bicycle storage encourage a green commute, with shower facilities in the garage designed specifically for commuters. The UMKC Police Office serves as the access point for students who use the showers to ensure they are secure.

The Cherry Street Garage and Student Success Center are both part of a 30-year bond package that was approved by the University of Missouri Board of Curators in fall 2010.