UMKC looks for its ‘Biggest Loser’ Inspired by TV show, UMKC event promotes healthy living

Kynslie Otte

UMKC kicked off its own Biggest Loser competition on Feb. 14, sponsored by Swinney Recreational Center and the Johnson and Oak Street Hall councils.

Kate Sanders, a Johnson Hall Residential Assistant, is the coordinator for the challenge.

“Basically the event is just my attempt at getting the campus involved in healthy decisions and reaching a new fitness level,” she said.

The competition is based around the popular NBC television show “The Biggest Loser.” The show features overweight contestants who travel to “The Ranch” to begin living healthier lifestyles through both diet and exercise. The UMKC version of the competition works similarly to the show.

“The purpose of the event is to get UMKC involved in a healthier lifestyle by partaking in the popular television show process,” Sanders said. “[The competitors] will have six weeks of participation with a Bod Pod assessment completed at the start and finish of the competition.”

Alison Kramer, Swinney Recreational Center Wellness Coordinator, is in charge of the Bod Pod assessments.

The competition was scheduled at this time of year in order to give students a chance to get in shape for Spring Break.

The event will run through March 22. Until then, participating students will be responsible for exercising at least twice a week to benefit their health.

“The opportunity to weigh-in each week and track progress is also an aspect of the program,” Sanders said.

Weekly weigh-ins will occur from 2:30-3:30 p.m. on Mondays and from 11 a.m.-noon on Tuesdays.

Those involved in the event will be placed on teams, and participants will be individually responsible for exercising and making progress.

Participants who complete certain tasks over the course of the program will receive prizes.

The grand prize winner will be the student who loses the highest percentage of body fat.

As of last week, at least 25 participants had officially signed up to compete, and about 80 students had shown interest in the event.

Coordinators expect to see a good turnout for the competition.

For students interested in tracking the progress of the event, Sanders created a Facebook page called “Biggest Loser.”