Distance Runners impress in Jayhawk Classic

The track and field team competed in the Jayhawk Classic, hosted by the University of Kansas on Friday in Lawrence.

Junior Autumn Scott finished 1st in the women’s 600-yard run with a time of 1:27.78, while sophomore Veronica Rollins placed 2nd with a school-best 1:25.68 in her respective session.

Johnathon Barnett placed 2nd in the men’s 600-yard run with a time of 1:16.73. In a later session of the same event, senior Redell Frazier recorded the third best performance in UMKC indoor track and field history as he clocked in at 1:12.99.

The Roos were impressive throughout the invitational, particularly in the distance events.

In the men’s 3,000 meters event, sophomore Alloch Burton finished 3rd with a personal-best 8:54.81 in the morning event, while reigning Summit League Champion Cosmos Ayabei followed up in the evening event with an astonishing time of 8:29.60 to take 1st place. Ayabei now hold four of the top-five best indoor performances in this event in UMKC history.

In the women’s mile, senior Jylian Jaloma finished 1st as she clocked 5:04.66 for the second best performance in school indoor history. Another second-best performance in school history was from senior Aubrey Frederking as she came in at 3:00.27 in the women’s 1,000 meters, which was enough to clinch 3rd place.

In both men and women’s distance medleys, the Roos finished in 2nd place with times of 10:18.78 and 12:28.51 respectively.

In the field events, the women’s side seen Freshman Briana Carter place 5th in the “Flight One” triple-jump with a personal best mark of 38-00.75 (11.60 meters), while Senior Denise Branda finished in 3rd position in the weight throw as she marked 54-01.75 (16.50 meters).

On the men’s side, the Roos proved dominant in the weight throw as sophomore Kris Leverette and junior Ramon Nelson clinched 1st and 2nd in the event. Leverette’s monstrous mark of 57-10.05 (17.64 meters) was the best by any Roo performer so far this season, while Nelson’s 57-02.00 (17.42 meters) wasn’t far behind.

Next on the agenda for the track and field Roos is the Shocker Quad & Multi-Meet event, hosted by Wichita State Feb. 3-4 in Wichita, Kan.