Seminars geared toward Academic Success

Kynslie Otte

On Tuesday, Jan. 17, an Academic Success seminar was held in room 419 of the Student Union. The seminar was presented by Kate Gold, who is an SI/Coaching Coordinator at UMKC.

The theme of the seminar was “Getting to Know your UMKC.” At the beginning of the seminar, maps of the campus were handed out, as well as lists of all the different organizations and academic centers provided by UMKC to assist students.

The focus of the seminar was to familiarize students with the basic layout of campus, and to inform them of the locations of the academic centers on campus, as well as their main purposes. Gold also explained several of the larger student associations, such as SGA. Gold encouraged students to get involved in campus life as much as possible in order to broaden horizons and become more successful at the university.

Gold explained the changes that are currently being made to the University Center, and informed students of where to find services that were previously in the University Center, such as the One Card office. Once the changes to the University Center are complete, it will be a “one-stop shop for most of students’ needs,” Gold said.

These seminars are held weekly on campus on Tuesdays from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., and 3 to 4 p.m. on Wednesdays. According to Gold, there are 12 more workshops throughout the semester, and they will not be holding workshops during Spring Break.

The Coaching Program at UMKC sponsors the seminars, and they are open to all students who are interested in acquiring the skills and knowledge necessary to be successful in college.

The next seminar will be held at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 24 on the fourth floor of the Student Union. The title of this seminar is “Making Your Money Count.” It will cover budgeting, credit cards, and student loans, according to Gold. These seminars are highly informative and are a great resource for students.