Clothing drive benefits veterens and children

Lindsay Adams

The Sociology Club is hosting a clothing drive on campus. The clothing drive started the first of this month and continues until Nov. 18.

Pre-Med Student Danesha Martin, president of the Sociology Club, said, “The goal of the clothing drive is to help out those less fortunate veterans and children who are in dire need of clothing around this time of the year that are unable to provide for themselves. We wanted to start early since the temperatures in Kansas City have gone from one extreme to the next. By hosting a clothing drive, this is just a small way for the Sociology Club to show how much we care about people in our community, our willingness to help, and our desire to raise awareness on campus by getting our students involved too.”

They accept clothing for both adults and children. They will also accept any other item that might help a person in need who cannot afford to buy much, for example toiletries, deodorant, hygiene products, shaving kits, etc.

Some of the goals of the Sociology Club as outlined by its website are, “To increase student involvement on UMKC’s campus and surrounding community through service projects,” and “To educate, engage, and empower students to become future leaders and role models.”

“The clothing drive is going very well,” Martin said. “We have already collected about 30 large bags of clothing and still counting. I am very excited and pleased with how much the students, faculty/staff, and everyone’s willingness to donate clothing to help out our cause.”

They are going to donate all of the clothing they receive. The adult clothing and other items will be donated to the Heart of American Stand Down. According to their website, “During war, stand down means a brief break from the fighting.” The organization works to create a stand down area for homeless veterans. “Assistance is offered with medical, substance abuse, legal issues, taxes, housing & utility assistance, family counseling, spiritual, mentorships, educational and employment opportunities, hair cuts, and much more.”

The children’s clothing will be given to Crittenton Children’s Center. Its website reads, “Since 1896, Crittenton Children’s Center has served as the region’s premier psychiatric care provider for children, adolescents, and their families.” This center helps children with mental and behavioral needs, as well as assisting with adoption services and foster care.

The Sociology Club is open to sociology students who are majoring and minoring and other students who are interested in trying to find out more about sociology.

“What attracts me to the Sociology Club is my drive to enhance the awareness of the sociological field to students on campus,” Martin said. “My attraction for the club also stems from my passions for community involvement through a field that I am constantly intrigued by and absolutely love and enjoy.”

To donate clothing, contact Danesha Martin at [email protected] or drop the clothes off at Manheim Hall offices 106-D, 106-E or 206-E.

For more information about the Sociology Club, refer to their website at cas.umkc.edu/sociology/sociology-club.asp.