Player of the Week: Zaina Mayer

Luke Harman

Zaina Mayer celebrating during the ‘Roos winning streak.

Women’s soccer star Zaina Mayer helped her team continue their five-game win streak after her performances in last week’s road victories over IPFW (Oct. 7) and Oakland, (Oct. 9) . The junior midfielder was named to the weekly CS360 (Collegesoccer360.com) Primetime Performer Honor Roll after her game-winning penalty kick was enough to give the Roos a 2-1 victory at Fort Wayne, Ind. (IPFW). Mayer followed up just two days later with an assist on the game-winning goal in a 2-0 route of the Oakland Golden Grizzlies.

In 14 games this season, nine of which were starts, the Lincoln, Neb. native is 2nd on the team in goals scored (3) and 3rd points (7).

Last season, in her sophomore year, Mayer started in all 18 games, recording two assists: at Youngstown State (Sept. 5) and at Indiana Universiry Purdue University Indianapolis, IUPUI (Oct. 3), for a total of two points on the season. As a freshman, the 5’4” speedy winger started 16 games and appeared in 18 contests. Mayer scored the women’s soccer program’s first ever goal in the season opener against Northern Iowa (Sept. 4) She also led the Roos in goals (5), points (11), shots (18) and shots-on-goal (10), recording one assist against Murray State (Sept. 13) as well as scoring back-to-back goals in the Panther Invitational (vs Northern Iowa Sept. 4 and Southeast Missouri State Sept. 6).

Aside from her outstanding performances at the Durwood Soccer Stadium, Mayer also excels academically, majoring in dentistry. Last season, she was named a Distinguished Scholar and to The Summit League Fall Academic All-League squad. In her freshmen year, Mayer was named to The Summit League Fall Academic All-League team and was the recipient of UMKC’s Sam Davidson Award, which is presented annually to a student-athlete who best exemplifies the ideals of scholarship, sportsmanship and goodwill.

Mayer holds five records at Lincoln North Star High School, including single game goals (5), single season goals (11), career goals (20), single season points (28) and career points (54). The women’s soccer program will be hoping the #5’s recent performances continue as the team looks to add to their already boastful 5-0 Summit League Conference record this season.