All Around Town: Good old fashioned Brookside

Nathan Zoschke

The Roasterie, at West 62nd Terrace and Brookside Boulevard, is known for its rich, original flavors. Neighborhood’s location near Volker campus has much for students to appreciate

The Brookside Shopping District, south of the Volker campus, baffles me because it is both relatively low-key and immensely popular at the same time.

The quaint Tudor-style architecture and pedestrian scale create a chilled, relaxed atmosphere anyone can enjoy, which helps explain the neighborhood’s mass appeal.

Brookside’s convenient location and variety of stores, restaurants and bars make it a convenient niche for area residents and students alike.

The Roasterie

In 2005, The Roasterie opened at 63rd Street and Brookside Boulevard, and has since made a name for itself among Kansas City’s coffee connoisseurs.

Roasterie coffee is air roasted, in contrast to the rotary drum technique most coffeehouses use. This gives Roasterie coffee a strong, distinctive flavor.

The quaint, Tudor-style architecture of the Brookside Shops.

While the Roasterie’s espresso and latte drinks aren’t as sweet as what I have grown accustomed to drinking, the rich, fresh-roasted flavor of the Roasterie’s exotic blends blows Starbucks’ burnt-tasting drinks out of the water.

The interior of the Roasterie is contemporary and laid back with copious seating both inside and out. The art deco font and 1930s-era DC-3 plane used in the Roasterie logo add to the unique ambiance, which beats the overplayed lounge feel of most coffee shops.

The Roasterie has a 10 percent student discount available on all drinks. Hours are 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 6 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday.

Foo’s Fabulous Frozen Custard

Foo’s is a hidden gem for anyone with a sweet tooth. Tucked away at 6235 Brookside Plaza, I tried Foo’s for the first time this summer and, despite my dietary vigilance, had a hard time holding back afterward.

Frozen concretes are Foo’s specialty, and include a variety of fruit, chocolate, mint, fudge and candy bar flavors.

My favorite is the Blue Devil, a combination of mint ice cream, raspberries and chocolate chips, which complement each other surprisingly well.

Other Foo’s favorites include a selection of fruit-flavored frozen drinks, called “Slurries,” and a wide selection of sundaes, such as the “Turtle Creek,” topped with hot fudge, caramel and pecans.

Foo’s is open 1 p.m.-10 p.m. Sunday and Monday, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday and 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. on weekends.

Jalapenos

As the name implies, Jalapenos isn’t exactly authentic Mexican food, but whoever said something had to be authentic to be good was wrong.

Expect lots of chips, salsa and generous portions. The a la carte menu is reasonably priced, with most menu items less than $5. The dinner menu is a bit pricier, but is nonetheless extremely satiating.

The Mucho Chimichanga, a large, deep-fried cheesy tortilla filled with a choice of beef, chicken or pork and topped with sour cream, guacamole and a side of beans and rice, is my favorite.

An order of Sopapillas, a cinnamon flatbread served with honey, adds a nice finishing touch to the meal.

Hours are 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and noon-9 p.m. on Sunday.

Charlie Hooper’s

Charlie Hooper’s is the neighborhood bar and grill Applebee’s wishes it was.

Menu specials includes classic American plates like chicken pot pie, meatloaf, philly steak sandwiches and chicken fried steaks. The drink menu is heavy on domestics.

Hours are 11 a.m.-3 a.m. Wednesday-Saturday, and 11 a.m.-1:30 a.m. Sunday-Tuesday.

Other Brookside favorites include the Blue Grotto pizza and wine bar, Sharpe’s 63rd Street Grill, Bella Napoli, an Italian restaurant and deli, and Pickermann’s Soup and Sandwhich.