UMKC has record number of donors

It was a great year for the UMKC Foundation, the independent, non-profit official fundraising management organization for UMKC.

It was the third best fundraising year in school history with a record number of 19,281 donors during the 2010-11 fiscal year ending June 30.

“Despite the economic downturn, the UMKC Foundation enjoyed a successful year with a record number of donors contributing a total of $30.13 million,” said UMKC Foundation board Chairman Alan Atterbury.

The Foundation received 42,004 gifts last year, including nine worth $1 million or more. The UMKC School of Education raked in three gifts of $1 million or more, including the Warren Wheelock Scholarship in Reading Education from Warren H. Wheelock, professor emeritus, and Connie J. Campbell, alumna.

UMKC has more than 74,000 living alumni. Of those, more than 7,400 made gifts to UMKC last year.

Of the 10 percent of alumni who donated, 902 were new donors who gave for the first time.

The College of Arts and Sciences had the most new donors with 233, the School of Education was second with 145 and the Henry W. Bloch School of Management was third with 104.

Online giving was up 54 percent from last year.

The Alumni Fund grew to a record $721,627, and the UMKC Foundation Endowment grew 22.7 percent, from $17.6 million to $21.6 million.

“Our emphasis for next year will be announcing the campaign for UMKC,” UMKC Foundation President Murray Blackwelder said.

Five years ago, the UMKC Alumni Association eliminated annual dues and instead asked alumni to support students through the Alumni Fund.

Since then, the Alumni Fund has noticed a higher alumni giving rate.

The Alumni Association also launched a new website last year, www.umkcalumni.com, which provides alumni with an online community, easy registration for events and online giving.

The association’s signature event, the Alumni Awards Luncheon, is now a fundraiser for immediate aid student scholarships.

The association changed the event three years ago when the economy declined sharply, affecting scholarship endowments.

Many alumni who do not attend the luncheon contribute to the immediate aid fund.

This year’s luncheon sold out with more than 650 attendees. The luncheon raised $50,000 in immediate student aid and another $50,000 in matching funds for one of the association’s endowed scholarships, for a total of $100,000 in student support.

“The UMKC Foundation is giving the University the momentum we need for accomplishing our goals for the future,” Chancellor Leo Morton said.