Briefly Mentioned

Louis Trigg

UMKC receives national recognition for community outreach

The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) recognized the University of Missouri- Kansas City (UMKC) for its participation in volunteering and civic engagement, listing the school to the President’s 2010 Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.

This honor roll, the highest federal recognition of colleges and universities for service learning and community outreach, has been used to recognize the contributions of higher institutions since 2006.

As one of Kansas City’s largest employers, the university is fiscally invested in the area. However, it has maintained a longstanding commitment to effort and service.

This marks the fifth consecutive year UMKC has been honored for its active role in community affairs.

“It is a testament to the faculty, staff and students at UMKC, who devote tens of thousands of hours annually to community service,” said UMKC Chancellor Leo Morton, “much of which is focused on underserved populations and the needs of disadvantaged youth.”

UMKC often hosts seminars and lectures for metropolitan residents, seeking to promote community involvement. CNCS encourages those types of gestures of participation.

The honor roll specifically acknowledged the Institute for Urban Education, Midwest Center for Nonprofit Leadership, UMKC Health Sciences Wellness Fair, and the Sojourner Health Clinic.

Students looking to get involved can find events at Serve 2 Learn, the UMKC service-learning program.

The UMKC Office of Student Involvement offers additional ways to become involved in the area. Last year, more than 1,600 students participated, serving 9,000 hours.

New Letters magazine wins Pushcart Prizes

Recently, New Letters quarterly magazine celebrated two Pushcart Prizes for works published in 2010.

“Logophilia,” an essay by B.H. Fairchild, and “Rockaway,” a short story by Lydia Conklin, both received awards for their appearances in the 2010 summer edition of New Letters.

While Conklin is a newer writer, Fairchild is widely known for his anthologies of essays and poems, notably The Art of the Lathe. Although he grew up in southwest Kansas 40 years ago, he cites in his interviews the impact the area has on his writing, especially his use of metaphor.

UMKC began publishing the magazine in 1934. Since then, the magazine has contained works from admired writers such as James T. Farrell, Joyce Carol Oates, and Richard Hugo. The online database carries more than 7,500 poems, stories and essays from more than 120 previous issues.

Pushcart Prizes, determined by Pushcart Press, are given to the best writings in the small presses.

Fairchild and Conklin join other renowned writers like Junot Diaz and Oates as prize recipients.

New Letters recently enjoyed similar acclaim when its radio counterpart, New Letters on the Air, was nominated for an international radio award.

Along with BBC Radio 4, RTE Radio 1, and Radio Television Hong Kong, New Letters on the Air was recently a finalist in the Culture and Arts category at the 2010 New York Festivals International Radio Programming Awards.