Pedro Rodriguez.
Finding a New Home
Gracey Saavedra, Staff Writer • November 17, 2023

UMKC senior and finance major Pedro Rodiguez knows first-hand how difficult it can be to assimilate into a new university.    As a...

The Epperson House is closed to visitors, but can be seen from the distance around campus.
The Spooky History of the Castle on Campus
Aurora Wilson, Lifestyle and Culture Editor • October 31, 2023

Located at the corner of Cherry and 52 St., the Epperson House looms over UMKC’s campus, haunting students who dare to walk past it.    Construction...

Dr. Villamandos and Dr. Grieco in front of Sancho Panza in the Twentieth Century
UC Berkeley Art Historian To Speak on Historic Haag Murals
Lauren Zoller, Staff Writer • October 30, 2023

A University of California Berkeley art historian will present her research on Luis Quintanilla, a world-renowned artist whose murals have...

Tayler and the cast sit as they prepare for more filming.
You Are Now Leaving Godly
Lydia Schneider, Staff Writer • October 20, 2023

Tayler Gilbert, UMKC senior and professional photographer, is putting the final touches on his new film, “Welcome to Godly.”    Gilbert...

Abigail Weiler holds her business card.
Clayful by Abbie
Gracey Saavedra, Staff Writer • October 18, 2023

Abigail Weiler, fourth-year political science and French major at UMKC, delivers confidence in the form of handmade polymer clay jewelry.    Her...

Women’s Soccer Makes Summit League Tournament

With a record of 3-6-8, the Roos kept their season alive, and will be playing for their chance at the NCAA tournament this weekend in South Dakota
The womens soccer team will travel to South Dakota this weekend to compete.
Manny Morales
The women’s soccer team will travel to South Dakota this weekend to compete.

The Roos’ women’s soccer team has wrapped up their regular season and will now have a shot at taking the Summit League crown. 

The team finished their non-conference schedule with a record of 1-3-5, with its sole win against Lindenwood to start the season. There was a major highlight however, as Kansas City tied with the University of Kansas, who received votes for the top 25 rankings poll. 

Going into conference play, the Roos fought hard. While the team did not win a majority of their games, it did keep games close. Only one of its losses was decided by more than one goal. 

In the last match of the season, the Roos had to either tie or win to secure a place in the Summit League Tournament. The match was against the second-seeded South Dakota State Jackrabbits. Both teams put pressure on the goal and the match was tight to the very end. In the end, the Roos did just enough to end the game with a draw at 0-0, sealing their spot in the tournament.

Looking forward, the Roos will play the three-seeded Oral Roberts Golden Eagles in the first round on Friday, Oct. 27 at 4 p.m.

Of the eight conference matches the Roos played in the regular season, the match against Oral Roberts was the toughest. Both teams had eight shots on goal, and it was a relatively even match. The only difference was that the Golden Eagles found the back of the net five times. The Roos lost the match 5-2. 

Should the Roos win against the Golden Eagles, they will play the two-seeded South Dakota State Jackrabbits. As mentioned earlier, Kansas City tied with SDSU in the final match of the regular season. 

Watch the Roos take on the Golden Eagles via the Summit League Network