Men’s Basketball Schedule Released

Julia Kapros

Sophomore guard Jevin Sullivan dribbling in the paint for a layup attempt.

Gunnar Boughan, Staff Writer

The unofficial schedule for the Kansas City Roos’ men’s basketball 2023 season reveals a slew of key games, with notable opponents like the University of Kansas. 

This release comes from UMKC’s Request for Proposal to build a new sports arena across from Whole Foods on East 51st St. 

The Roos’ tip off their season on Nov. 6, at home against their neighbor, Avila University. This matchup will be the first time the teams have faced off since 2019. 

They will travel to Waco, Texas on Nov. 15 to play against the Baylor Bears, who finished fourth in the Big 12 Conference in 2022-2023. Then on Nov. 18, Kansas City faces Missouri State at home. The Missouri State Bears finished sixth in the Missouri Valley Conference in 2022. 

On Nov. 25 and 26, the Roos will fly south for the Island of Bahamas Showcase. The team last made an appearance in this tournament in 2019, where they faced an early exit. 

Kansas City will travel to Allen Fieldhouse to play KU, one of the top basketball program in the nation, on the tentative date of Dec. 5. 

Jan. 3 and 6 are listed as “Big Sky Games.” This means the opponents could be schools such as Montana State, Weber State, or Eastern Washington. 

From Jan. 11 to March 2 the Roos will face strictly Summit League Opponents.

The schedule is not yet finalized. Date and times are able to change before the official schedule release later this summer.