Chiefs Add a Weapon for Patrick Mahomes in the Second Round of the NFL Draft

Cristian Martinez, Sports Editor

The Kansas City Chiefs moved up from the 63rd overall pick to the 55th overall pick to select SMU wide receiver Rashee Rice.

The Chiefs traded picks 63, 122, and 249 to the Detroit Lions in exchange for picks 55 and 194.

From North Richland Hills, Texas, Rice started his football career in high school with Richland. He emerged in 2017 when he caught 51 passes for 841 yards and five touchdowns. The Mustang produced a higher rate the following year, reeling in 72 catches for over 1,000 yards and an eye-popping 19 touchdowns.

Rice declared for SMU in 2019, the same college that Lamar Hunt attended and played for prior to him creating the American Football League in 1959. The wideout amassed 400 yards as a freshman on 25 catches. He blossomed into a role player in his sophomore and junior seasons, collecting over 650 yards in back-to-back years. However, he boomed as a senior, with 96 catches for 1,355 yards and 10 touchdowns.

The Texan also earned multiple award nominations, including the Associated Press All-America second team, Biletnikoff Award Semifinalist, and Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist in 2022.

The Chiefs add to their wide receiver room, which saw the departure of former Chief Juju Smith-Schuster. Rice will compete for a starting role while learning from pass-catchers Travis Kelce and Kadarius Toney.