Briefly Mentioned

Kasim Hardaway

UMKC buildings receive Capstone Award

Miller Nichols Library (MNL) and the Student Union (SU) have received awards for their architectural design. Both received an award for the Kansas City Business Journal 2011 Capstone Award for Architectural Design. Capstone recognizes excellence in outstanding real estate development projects and transactions within Kansas City.

A formal recognition for the MNL and the SU will be held at an awards luncheon on April 25 and at a supplement hosted by the Kansas City Business Journal on April 29.

The MNL was dedicated in September of 2010 as the 17th academic library in North America and first in the region to incorporate a robotic storage and retrieval system.

“Roobot the robot” will house upward of 80 percent of the MNL collection. This will in turn allow for more space throughout the MNL for use of library patrons. A large quantity of the material will be put into storage, however more than 150,000 books, magazines, and music recordings will be available on open shelving.

Only one-seventh of the floor space is used now and that is simply because of the Roobot. Now materials can be available on site and easily accessible but all in a much smaller area. According to UMKC Public Relations, Roobot has been built to accommodate an additional 15 years of growth.

The SU was also an honoree of the award.

The SU opened at the beginning of fall semester 2010. The 109,000-square foot building houses various student organizations and departmental spaces, innovative study spaces, and features large windows that allow all to see remarkable views of Kansas City.

According to UMKC Public Relations, this project was funded using $1 million in private funds, $500,00 in campus funds and $ 36.8 million revenue bonds. Several architects collaborated on the project including McCownGordon, architecture firm Gould Evans and alumni of the College of Arts and Sciences’ Department of Architecture and Urban Planning and Design.

To find out what features led the Miller Nichols Library and Student Union to garner such an award visit www.www.umkc.edu/union/ and www.library.umkc.edu/, respectively.