Rae Sremmurd Tickets are Available for UMKC’s Spring Concert

The hip hop duo Rae Sremmurd performing at UMKC excites students across campus.

Belle Yennie, Staff Writer

Rae Sremmurd tickets for the UMKC Union Board Programming Spring Concert were released on Monday. Ticket prices for students are $10, and tickets for the public will open on March 27 for $30. The concert will be held on April 19 at the Swinney Recreational Center. Doors open at 7 p.m. 

Rae Sremmurd has over 13 million monthly listeners on Spotify, yet tickets won’t hurt college students’ wallets. Sophomore Sam Scott is excited to attend, especially with the low pricing.

“I pay $10 for a coffee,” Scott said. “It gives the opportunity for friend groups to go and people who may not be able to participate otherwise.” 

UPB’s Instagram provides informational videos on how to purchase tickets online. Vice President of UPB Chase Redington manages the social media pages and helped create three teaser videos leading up to the spring concert artist announcement. Keeping the secret was difficult because of Rae Sremmurd’s recognizable name. 

“I know they’ve had some pretty big songs and collaborated with pretty [famous] people,” Redington said. “I know people are looking forward to it based on what [they’re] posting on social media and the interactions I’ve had.” 

The Rae Sremmurd song “Black Beatles” has over 868 million streams on Spotify. While this song was a radio hit in 2017 and received a Billboard Music Award, their music can also be found in social media trends like The Mannequin Challenge. Junior Charlie King said their music evokes the nostalgia of early high school, and UMKC will be recognized on the same level as larger universities that often host famous artists. 

“We all grew up with the music, I definitely think [Rae Sremmurd is] hitting [their] target audience,” King said. “[The concert] affirms that we’re on the map at a similar level.” 

Rae Sremmurd was not everyone’s first choice for the concert. However, the concert provides an opportunity to explore a new artist and connect with the crowd. Regardless of how familiar students are with Rae Sremmurd, business finance major Jaysen Mitchell believes it’s not an experience to miss out on. 

“I love music, and I love the atmosphere concerts bring out. It almost creates a community within the venue,” Mitchell said. “I think it opens the door for even bigger names moving forward.” For more details about the UPB Spring Concert with Rae Sremmurd featuring Nelly Echo, visit the UMKC Office of Student Involvement Website.