Save the date

Sarah Ashlock

Monday, April 18

English Department Advising: noon-2 p.m., Cockefair Hall lobby.

Professional Roundtable: 2-3:30 p.m., Cockefair Hall Room 105A. In celebration of the Literature for Life Week 2011 sponsored by the English Department, the Undergraduate English Council (UEC) is hosting an informational panel session featuring guests from The Kansas City Star, The Pitch and UMKC Career Services. All students are invited to attend. Visit www.facebook.com/umkcUEC for more information or email [email protected]

English Faculty and Student Mixer: 3:30-4:30 p.m., the lawn east of Cockefair Hall. This is a Literature for Life Week event. English majors, minors and undecided major students will have the chance to mingle with faculty members. Refreshments and snacks provided.

Tuesday, April 19

Students vs. Faculty Dodgeball Game: 1 p.m., Old Swinney Gym. This is a Literature for Life Week event. Ever dreamed of hitting your professors? Now is your chance! Free bottled water will be provided.

Friends of the Library 46th Annual Celebration: 5-7:30 p.m., Boulevard Brewing Company (2501 Southwest Blvd.). At this year’s event we are joined by artist and entrepreneur, Peregrine Honig discussing the effects technology has and continues to make on art, media and audience. A 2010 finalist on Bravo TV’s “Work of Art.” She is the owner of Fahrenheit, an alternative exhibition space, and Birdies, an independent lingerie boutique. Enjoy light hors d’oeuvres, soft drinks, wine and a variety of Boulevard Beers on tap and receive a souvenir pint glass. Also enter to win a copy of Honig’s “Widow,” a limited-edition magazine valued at $700 presenting her work and aesthetic. Tickets for students are $35 in advance and can be purchased by calling 816-235-5828.

Wednesday, April 20

Free Film Screening: 7 p.m., Student Union Theater. This is a Literature for Life Week event. The UEC will be screening “Requiem for a Dream,” a film directed by Darren Aronofsky based on the book by Hubert Selby Jr. The film depicts the drug-induced utopias of four Coney Island individuals struggling with addiction. It stars Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly.

What’s Going On? Series part 3: 3-5 p.m. iX Theatre, Miller Nichols Library, 1st floor. Pt 3 of 3 in series exploring global issues related to war, genocide, and crimes against humanity. Lorraine Haricombe, Dean of KU Libraries, and South African librarian Biziwe Tembe discuss issues of international librarianship with an emphasis on the role U.S. libraries can play in helping to rebuild libraries and improve educational systems in countries ravaged by conflict.

Thursday, April 21

“So You Think You Can Spell?” Spelling Bee Contest: 6 p.m., University Center Room 106. This is a Literature for Life Week event. Cash prizes and/or gift cards will be awarded to the top spellers.

Friday, April 22

Salsa Night: 6-10 p.m., Oak Street Residence Hall basement. Presented by the brothers of Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity Inc- Gamma Nu Chapter and the members of Association of Latin American Students (ALAS). The Salsa Night will allow you to, learn how to salsa and have some free food.

APC Music in the Playhouse: 6-10 p.m., University Playhouse. The line-up will consist of all STUDENT-DIRECTED bands!: Brock Lamkins, Izzy Lee, Godson and Soul of Liberty. The special guest will be, UMKCs very own Griffen Alexander. There will also have a balloon artist on site as well as APC free giveaways. Wristbands will be given to the first 250 people that show up to the event.

Who Am I? Part 2: 1-3:30 p.m., Johnson Hall Lounge. This is the second part of a discussion about the unraveling racial and ethnic identity. Free food provided. Sponsored by Multicultural Student Affairs.

Saturday, April 23

Annual Undergraduate English Symposium: 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Diastole Scholars’ Center (2501 Holmes St.). This is the final event during Literature for Life Week 2011. English professor and Keynote Speaker Dr. Jennifer Phegley will discuss: “Courting Sensation: Advertising for Love in the Victorian Press.” Everyone is welcome to listen to UMKC Undergraduate students read their academic work and mingle with faculty members. A free breakfast and lunch will be provided.

Rock Culture Con: 10 a.m.-9 p.m., Kansas City Municipal Auditorium (301 W. 13th St.). This event features Roller Derby Girls, bands, Dubstep, tattoo exhibitors, belly dancing and a rock fashion show an MMA showcase. Tickets can be purchased for $10 in advance at www.rockculturecon.com.