Briefly Mentioned

Kasim Hardaway

Women of Color Leadership Conference will take place April 28-29 and May 12

The Annual Women of Color Leadership Conference (WOCLC) hosted by the UMKC Division of Diversity, Access and Equity (DDAE) and the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management will present a new, all-inclusive conference.

The 6th Annual WOCLC will encompass more students of color than ever.

Initially the WOCLC served as a conference to support adult Black women then transitioned to empowering all Women of Color and even devoted a portion of the conference to high school girls of color.

The conference has now become all encompassing by changing its target group to all college students of color.

“We are invested in providing a network to improve the participation and involvement of Women of Color in all communities by providing programs that improve communication, collaboration and action,” said Deputy Chancellor of the DDAE Karen Dace, Ph.D. “Our efforts focus on wealth development and accumulation, career planning and development, health and wellness, leadership skills and educational access.”

There are two separate events that will take place over the course of two days.

The collegiate level conference will start at 9 a.m. on Thursday, April 28.

Kristi Ryujin, vice chancellor for diversity initiatives, will be the keynote speaker of the conference; the subject of her speech will be “Finding Your Voice.”

The second portion of the conference for high school girls will begin at 9 a.m. on Friday, April 29.

Rocsi Diaz will address the students at 12:45 p.m. Diaz co-anchored Black Entertainment Television’s (BET) leading show “106 & Park” and was the host of “106 & Park Weekend Countdown.”

Author, professor and MSNBC News contributor, Melissa Harris-Perry will be the keynote speaker for the WOCLC for adults at 6 p.m. on May 12.

Conference workshops will begin at 8:15 a.m.; registration starts at 7:30 a.m.

Harris-Perry is the author of “Barbershops, Bibles, and BET: Everyday Talk and Black Political Thought.” She is currently working on her book “Sister Citizen: A Text For Colored Girls Who’ve Considered Politics When Being Strong Wasn’t Enough.”

Her book is scheduled to be released later this year.

A book signing will follow her keynote address.

President and CEO of the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, Jane Chu will deliver a lunchtime lecture at 12:15 p.m.

All of the conferences will be held at Pierson Auditorium and in the University Center.

To view a schedule of the conference events and find out more about the speakers at each conference visit www.umkc.edu/woclc/ .