Save the date

Sarah Ashlock

Monday, April 11

UMKC Annual Robert F. Kennedy Symposium: 6 p.m., Student Union Theater Room. Christopher Gardner will be speaking. Gardner rose from homelessness to become the owner and CEO of Gardner Rich LLC. Author of the autobiography, “The Pursuit of Happyness,” a New York Times and Washington Post #1 best-seller, he is also the inspiration for the acclaimed movie “The Pursuit of Happyness,” for which Will Smith, starring as Gardner, received Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, and Academy Award nominations. His newest book, “Start Where You Are: Life Lessons in Getting From Where You Are to Where You Want to Be” was released in 2009 and instantly hit the New York Times Best-Seller List. Gardner is an avid professional speaker, sharing with his audiences the keys to self-empowerment, and the message of beating the odds and breaking cycles. Gardner is also a passionate philanthropist committed to many charitable organizations.

UMKC Annual Robert F. Kennedy Symposium: 6 p.m, School of Medicine Theater Room A&B. Dr. David Walton will be speaking. The Theme this year is “Making Change for the Future.” David Walton focuses on public health, and he believes that it is truly necessary to provide everyone with healthcare access. Whether he is in Boston or Haiti, he makes a huge imprint on different parts of the world, helping to change viewpoints and to eradicate and prevent disease.

Tuesday, April 12

National Equal Pay Day Table: 11 a.m.-1 p.m, Student Union. This information table will raise your awareness to the pay inequities women still face. This date symbolizes how far into 2011 women must work to earn what men earned in 2010. Co-sponsored by UMKC Career Services.

Tuesday Tune-up: 12-1 p.m. Yoga for everyone.

ArtSounds: 7:30 p.m., Epperson Auditorium. This month’s ArtSounds is a collaboration between video artist Joan Grossman and composer David D. McIntire. Joan Grossman is a media artist and scholar who is based in Brooklyn, New York, and currently Visiting Faculty in Film & Media Arts at UMKC. Her work spans documentary filmmaking, video installation, web-based projects, and writing. She is currently working on a documentary (with Tom McCourt) and video installation about the experimental and utopian artists community, “Drop City,” which will premiere at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Denver later this year. David D. McIntire is a composer, teacher and scholar based in Kansas City.

Free documentary screening: 7:30 p.m., Johnson County Community College. The documentary screened will be “Carbon Nation,” a film about climate change solutions. Even if you doubt the severity of the impact of climate change or just don’t buy it at all, this is still a compelling and relevant film that illustrates how solutions to climate change also address other social, economic and national security issues.

Wednesday, April 13

Wednesday Knights Chess: 5 p.m., Kansas City, Kan. Public Library Main Branch. This is a chance to play chess with new people. Chess boards and pieces are provided.

Thursday, April 14

Lunch and Learn: 12-2 p.m., Student Union Room 402. Hear testimonials from a panel of UMKC students with disabilities. Lunch will be provided.

Adult Swim tour: 6-11 p.m., 8th and New Hampshire, Lawrence, Kan.

Chaplin Film Series: 7 p.m., Tivoli Cinemas. UMKC Department of Film and Media Arts and Tivoli Cinemas present the film series. “Limelight” will be showing, a film that follows Chaplin, as forgotten clown Calvero, who abandons his own alcoholic despondency to buck up a suicidal dancer. With son Sydney, and the momentous stage-sharing of Chaplin and Keaton, this 1952 cinematic gem expresses what Chaplin felt about life, living and growing old.

Friday, April 15

Clothesline Sale: 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Pembrooke Hill School. Running for almost 60 years, this is a huge garage sale. Free admission.