Golf recap

Luke Harman

Women’s golf succeeds at UALR Classic

The UMKC Women’s Golf team returned from the 2010 UALR Golf Classic tied for the fifth lowest score in school-history, with a 308 combined team score. The teams heroics in Little Rock, Ark. was enough to earn them an 18th place finish with a three-round total of 970 (326-326-308) which had the girls produce a phenomenal final round.

Sophomore Taylor Fisher led the Roos with a score of 236 (82-80-74) which saw her clinch 54th position. Senior Kati Scholten was next in line in a tie at 74th spot on the individual leader-board with a finish of 240 (81-83-76). Senior Jessie Kosch’s 247 was enough to tie for 85th position, while Junior Madison Maddox’s 250 placed her in 90th.

Summit League rival Oral Roberts took home the team title with a combined score of 903, while Florida International’s Laura Stempfle took the individual honors. The Lady Roos will be back in action on April 11-12 when they compete in the WSU Spring Invitational in Hot Springs, Ark.

Men’s golf takes 15th place

The UMKC Men’s Golf team returned from Little Rock, Ark. this week after two challenging days and three tiring rounds of Division 1 golf. The Roos finished 15th overall at the UALR First Tee Collegiate Classic with a combined final team score of 918 (307-289-322).

The Roos were led by Swedish sophomore Viktor Mikaelsson who tied for 23rd position on the final scoreboard with a combined three-round score of 225 (76-72-77). Junior Englishman Will Robson tied with teammate Freshman Jack Fiscus back in 53rd place with final scores of 231. Finishing out for the Roos were Sophomore Korbin Kuehn in 71st position and Freshman Cole Chelle in 76th position respectively.

The final day pin-positioning by tournament officials was evidently a hurdle, which UMKC proved a difficult task to muster. Although experience is key in all of these hard-fought events and the Roos will look to get back to winning ways in the run-up to Summit League play.

The Golfing Roos will be back in action in Branson, Missouri when they compete in the Branson Creek Invitational on April 4-5.