Tennis recap

Elijah Ringler

Men’s tennis defeats Northwest Missouri State

The UMKC men’s tennis team defeated Northwest Missouri State 4-3 on Wednesday, March 30 at the Plaza Tennis Center. The victory was the seventh for the Roos and improved their overall to 9-6.

Sophomore Grant Fleming notched two wins on the day to lead the Roos. He came back to defeat Calvin Patterson after dropping the first set. He had earlier combined with fellow sophomore Nino Hasandedic to down the Bearcats top duo 8-5.

Sophomore Abdul Alawadhi was victorious in three sets in the No. 3 slot and freshman Cameron Schoenhofer and sophomore David Heckler needed the minimum of two sets to get the wins in the No.4 and No. 5 slots, respectively.

UMKC dropped matches in the No. 1 and No. 6 slots and couldn’t wrap up the doubles point after the Roos started the proceedings with a victory.

The Roos travel to Fort Wayne, Ind. on April 8-9 to take on Summit League foes IPFW and Centenary.

The UMKC women’s tennis team capped a busy week with four straight victories after opening the week with a blowout loss to an in-state rival. The Roos fell to Saint Louis 7-0 on Monday, March 28 before playing four Summit League opponents in three days over the weekend.

UMKC started off with a 5-2 victory over Oral Roberts on Thursday, March 31. The victory marked only the second over the Golden Eagles in school history and the first since 1992. Sophomores Laura Bouet and Suzan Lisenby each picked up a victory in both singles and doubles. The matchup took place at the Overland Park Racquet Club.

The Roos moved back to the Plaza Tennis Center on Friday, April 1 and defeated Western Illinois and South Dakota State by identical 7-0 scores. The momentum continued with a 6-1 victory over Oakland on Saturday, April 2. The victory ties a school-record and puts the team at 10-12 (6-2).