Briefly Mentioned

Kasim Hardaway

Shear Madness, an annual UMKC School of Dentistry ‘Fundrazor’

The UMKC School of Dentistry is now preparing for the school’s annual Shear Madness event.

Shear Madness 2011 will be held on Thursday, March 3 at noon in Room 209 at the School of Dentistry located on 650 E. 25th St.

Shear Madness raises money for children to attend Camp Quality, a non-profit organization that arranges full year-round support programs for young cancer patients and their families as well as a free summer camp program.

During the event, students, faculty and staff set prices on their hair.

Audience members are then asked to pledge money until the price that was asked is met.

When the bids come to an end, the buzzing of the ‘fundrazor’ begins.

In months prior to Shear Madness, students, faculty and staff work to raise money through other resources such as friends and alumni.

As mentioned before, during the Shear Madness event, anyone who wants to participate in the event can set their price to have their heads shaved.

However, individuals who raised money prior to the event can then use those proceeds on the outcome of the participants’ hair.

If the price asked is met, their heads will be shaved. If not, the participants are able to keep their hair, but the bidding money will still go towards the proceeds for Camp Quality.

Last year’s Shear Madness event raised more than $7,000. Those proceeds helped cover the costs for seven children to attend Camp Quality over the summer of 2010.

To see what happened at last year’s Shear Madness event, visit www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml-HpLCIMxM to watch a brief video.

The Shear Madness event is sponsored by a student organization Students Take Action (STA).

According to STA’s website, the organization was founded in 1998 by dental students dedicated to compassion and comradeship through community service.

STA volunteers participate in a variety of volunteer activities throughout the year.

For more information on Students Take Action or the Shear Madness event, please go to www.studo.umkc.edu/sta.