Save the date

Sarah Ashlock

Monday, Feb. 28

Stress Relief, Student Union Suite 130, from 6-7:30 p.m. Multicultural Student Affairs and The Counseling, Health and Testing Center will host a game.

Tuesday, March 1

Free Film Screening, Student Union Theatre, at 7 p.m. The Undergraduate English Council (UEC) will host a free screening of Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing.” First released in 1989, Roger Ebert declared it “the most controversial film of the year.” The film is Golden Globe and Academy Award-nominated, and takes place on the hottest day of the year in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn. Free popcorn and refreshments will be provided. Visit www.facebook.com/umkcUEC for more information.

Free Documentary Screening, Student Union Room 402, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. The Film and Arts Program will sponsor a screening of “Bhutto,” a film documenting the recent assassination of Benazir Bhutto that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2010.

Book display, Miller Nichols Library: at 8 a.m. Co-sponsored by University Libraries and Department of Foreign Language and Literature, the library will be displaying books related to Gender and 19th Century Germany through March 31.

Tuesday Tune-Up, MindBody Connection, University Center Room 161, from noon-1 p.m. This week’s focus will be, “What’s Right with You? Focus on Strengths.” Jenny Carr, the B’Dinas and Hunter Valentine, Riot Room, 4048 Broadway Blvd., at 8 p.m. Tickets are $7.

Wednesday, March 2

“Two Jews Walk into a War,” Unicorn Theatre (3828 Main St.) at 7:30 p.m. Ishaq and Zeblyan are the last two surviving Jews in a dilapidated old synagogue in Kabul during the Taliban regime’s final days. The only thing binding them together is that they hate each other’s guts. Partial support for this production is provided by the Herb and Bonnie Buchbinder Donor Advisory Fund of the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Kansas City. Tickets are $22.50 and up. There will be productions of the play through March 20. Visit www.unicorntheatre.org for more information.

Dropkick Murphy’s and Against Me!, Beaumont Club at 8 p.m. Tickets are $25.

Big Brother, Big Sister Recruitment Event, Student Union Room 301, from 2-3 p.m. Learn more about how UMKC students can help out the community and become a Big Brother and Sister (BBBS) to a kid who needs a good role model. There will be a 15-minute video about BBBS, and they will be raffling off digital cameras, gift certificates and prize packs. This free event is sponsored by UMKC, UMB and BBBS, and will be held March 2 and 3 at the same time.

Thursday, March 3

“Fully Committed,” Fishtank Performance Studio, at 8:30 p.m. The play follows a day in the life of Sam Peliczowski, an out-of-work actor who mans the red-hot reservation line at New York’s number-one restaurant and boasts a cast of 40 all played by one man. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at Birdie’s (116 West 18th St.) or at the door before the performance. The play will be performed through March 19.

Friday, March 4

Book Sale, Miller Nichols Library, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Get deals on gently used books, music and more all at bargain prices. Proceeds support collections in the UMKC Dental, Health Sciences, Miller Nichols and Music-Media Libraries.

Latino Youth Day, Student Union, from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Latino high school sophomores from the area high schools will be introduced to various career options and post-secondary opportunities. For more information or to volunteer, contact Byron Ceasar at [email protected]

“Leprechaun,” Screenland Crown Center, at 9 p.m. The Screenland Slams series screens indie films, such as this one, featuring Jennifer Aniston and features comedians that make fun of the film. Tickets are $10 in advance, or $12 at the door and can be purchased at www.screenlandslams.com.

Book Discussion, Women’s Center, from noon-1 p.m. Bring your lunch and join the discussion on Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale. Atwood creates a feminist hell in which the only weapon available to the handmaid is also what subjugates her. This discussion will be facilitated by Kaie Stover of the Kansas City Public Library and is part of the Library’s Adult Winter Reading Program.

Saturday, March 5

Motocross, Sprint Center, at 7:30 p.m. The Nuclear Cowboyz tour has assembled the world’s greatest cast of freestyle motocross riders. Watch synchronized tricks, like the amazing back flip, while attempting to break world records in a two-hour scripted performance. Tickets start at $20. Visit www.sprintcenter.com for tickets.