Save the Date

Sarah Ashlock

Monday, Feb. 14

Cater 2 You at the Student Union, Multipurpose Room 401: Noon-5 p.m. In celebration of Valentine’s Day, APC will be having massage therapists, a gourmet chocolate table, a card-making station and free giveaways that will be raffled off at the event. No one will leave empty-handed! Giveaways include dinner for two on the Plaza, movie date for two, Social Suppers dinner date, etc. The event is free and open to UMKC students.

V-Day information tables at Royall Hall: 11 a.m-1 p.m. Sponsored by the UMKC Violence Prevention and Response Project and the Women’s Center, stop by these tables for V-Day information and to purchase chocolate vaginas and other V-Day items. For more information visit www.umkc.edu/womenc/vday2011.asp.

Study Abroad Fair at the Student Union, first floor: 12:30-2:30 p.m. Visit the Study Abroad Fair to learn about study abroad opportunities at UMKC, with a special emphasis on summer programs. Representatives from the International Academic Programs Office will be available to answer questions

“Love Song” at the The Living Room (1818 McGee): 8-9:30 p.m. Written by John Kolvenbach, this is an offbeat comedy and a rhapsody to the power of love in all its forms. The West End Production in London was nominated for an Olivier Award. Tickets are $15. Visit www.thelivingroomkc.com for more information.

Tuesday, Feb. 15

Elizabeth Gilbert talk and signing at Unity Temple (707 West 47th St.): 7 p.m. The author of the famous book that was adapted as a film, “Eat, Pray, Love,” discusses her latest book, “Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage.” Tickets are $16 and include a copy of the book. Visit www.rainydaybooks.com for more information.

Wednesday, Feb. 16

“The Vagina Monologues” at the Student Union Theater: 7-8 p.m. In honor of V-Day, UMKC will be hosting a production of “The Vagina Monologues” Wednesday and Thursday night. Tickets are $10 for students and $15 for non-students in advance or $15 for students and $20 for non-students at the door. Tickets can be purchased through the Central Ticket Office.

Relaf for Life kickof at Administrative Center, Plaza Room: 7 p.m. Free Chipotle will be served. Make an impact, save a life.

Thursday, Feb. 17

“The Shape of Things” at Grant Hall Theatre: 7:30 p.m. The UMKC Theatre will be performing “The Shape of Things” through Feb. 26. The play takes a chilling look at how far we are willing to go for love and for art: how far for the right look, the right clothes, the right weight, the right girl friend and the right TV camera in the bedroom. Tickets are $12.50 and can be purchased online or by calling 816-235-6222.

“Sex, Sin and Zen” at Unity Temple: 7:30 p.m. The author of “Hardcore Zen,” Brad Warner discusses his new book “Sex, Sin and Zen.” He examines all facets of sex from a Buddhist perspective. Warner is a Zen monk, writer, bass player and filmmaker. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Visit http://www.cornerstonefoundation.com/warner.html for tickets.

Final day to pre-order your tamales. Lambda Theta Phi will be selling and delivering homemade tamales on Feb. 24. Order them at [email protected]

Friday, Feb. 18

“Circle Mirror Transformation” at the Kansas City Repertory Theatre, Copaken Stage (13th and Walnut streets) : 8 p.m. This play will be performed through March 20. It tells the story of five citizens who begin a community acting class, each with his/her own expectations but soon learn more about each other and themselves than they expected. The play is hailed as one of the most insightful and original new works of the year. Tickets are $15 and up. Visit www.kcrep.org for more information.

Queer Alliance Pink Friday at the Student Union: 3-6 p.m. Wear pink and enjoy live entertainment by students and community members, eat free pizza and drinks and learn about future QA events.

Saturday, Feb. 19

The Memorials at The Riot Room: 9 p.m. After a few years as the drummer for The Mars Volta, Thomas Pridgen formed The Memorials. They will be playing with Just Like Vinyl, a band with post-hardcore influence, and also In the Grove, Maps for Travelers and Various Blonde. Tickets are $10. The show is 21 and up.

Sunday, Feb. 20

Cowtown Mallroom at 3101 Gillham Plaza: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Every Sunday, Cowtown Mallroom opens its doors for shoppers. You can find vintage clothing, art, records, furniture and more at this little known but totally awesome establishment. Admission is free.