'Blood Money'

Sarah Ashlock

Roos for Life shows anti-abortion documentary

On Monday, Jan. 31, Roos for Life screened the documentary “Blood Money,” an anti-abortion film, in the Student Union Theater.

Roos for Life, which opposes abortion, also seeks to spread a message about other instances in which they believe the dignity of life is unprotected, such as euthanasia, capital punishment and genocide.

“The main purpose [of screening ‘Blood Money’] is to stop abortion,” member Dominoco Nguyen said. “In a campus like this, there [are] a lot of young people. A lot of young people are probably having an abortion at the moment.”

Roos for Life believe abortion is a religious and a moral issue.

“Abortion is wrong no matter what—whether you believe in God or not, because God would definitely be Pro-life if he was here,” Nguyen said.

When asked how it was presumed God would be against abortion, he said, “In the Scripture, it says, ‘Let all the children come to me.’ That means how much he loves life.”

A religious compilation CD made by Nguyen also played before the film, and Nguyen’s CDs were sold following the screening.

Nguyen stated the group promoted the event through Catholic newspapers and a Catholic radio station.

Roos for Life President Levi Rash also mentioned faith is not the organization’s main focus, although religious beliefs are the reason many anti-abortion students are part of the organization.

“Blood Money” was narrated by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s niece and activist Dr. Alveda King.

In 2010, King participated in Glenn Beck’s “Restoring Honor” rally and spoke at the Georgia Capitol, declaring gay marriage as “genocide,” because it prevents opposite sex couples from procreating.

Following the film, Roos for Life hosted an informal panel discussion.

The panel consisted of Bill Francis, director of the Respect Life office, Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph, Johnny and Susan Hart, supporters of Alexandra’s House and Ivan Griffin, a member of Kansas City Blacks for Life.

The main focus of “Blood Money” was the concept of abortion being a business. The film did not mention other profitable aspects of the health care industry. (For example, the documentary “The Business of Being Born” documents the profits from the current maternity care system.)

The film called abortionists “hitmen,” stated the right to “life” is in 5th and 14th amendments and the legalization of abortion stemmed from the corruption of power to interpret the Constitution.

The film presentation also had strong political overtones.

“College Republicans helped [Roos for Life] get off the ground,” Rash said. ”People involved are affected by this issue, Pro-life movements come from many different backgrounds, political spectrums, parties, faith-based organizations.”

“Blood Money” did not hide its political beliefs by juxtaposing the supposed terrors of abortion with images of President Obama and the Democratic Party.

One of the most startling themes in “Blood Money” was the idea of the African-American population decreasing because of abortion.

According to the film, “If abortion persists, the African-American community will see a drastic decline…silenced at the hands of abortionists.”

One of the interviewees in the film said many “rank slavery as the worst thing [that has happened to the African-American community]; abortion is the worst.”

The link between slavery and African-American abortion centered around Margaret Sanger, who founded the Birth Control Federation of America, which became the Planned Parenthood Federation of America in 1942.

Sanger founded the organization to advocate for contraception and reproductive rights.

In “Blood Money,” Sanger is portrayed as a eugenicist, with imagery of Adolf Hitler displayed on the screen.

The film neglected to mention that Sanger, who died in 1966, denounced Hitler and was supported by leading African-American figures W.E.B. DuBois and Martin Luther King, Jr.

The film uses Sanger as a springboard to further convince the audience of one of the film’s main points, the possible “extinction” of the African -American community due to abortion.

A Planned Parenthood spokesperson could not immediately be reached for comment, although Planned Parenthood’s website, www.plannedparenthood.org, emphasized the non-profit organization’s diversity initiatives.

“Planned Parenthood has more than four million activists, supporters and donors nationwide,” the website reads. “Eighty-five unique, locally governed affiliates nationwide operate more than 820 health centers, which reflect the diverse needs of their communities.”

But “Blood Money” sees Planned Parenthood’s diversity outreach differently.

Planned Parenthood also has an advisory board of more than 400 members with varying ethnic backgrounds called The Planned Parenthood Federation of America Board of Advocates. Planned Parenthood also created the Latino Outreach Initiative as a way to support the needs of Latina women.

In addition to offering abortion services at select clinics, Planned Parenthood also offers adoption referrals, sexually-transmitted disease check-ups, free birth control to low-income women, contraception and LGBT services, among other things.

“Blood Money” also challenged the idea of abortion as a woman’s right.

“If one of the dads would have asked me not to abort, I would not have,” a woman in the film stated.

A majority of the discussion panel’s experts were men, such as Bill Francis, who believes fathers should take a stand against abortion.

“Telling a woman that it’s her choice, that you’ll support her in whatever she wants to do, is not an answer,” Francis said. “Men need to step up and say, ‘This is what I think we need to do.’ Many, many, many, many women coming out the back door of an abortion clinic say, ‘I just wish someone would’ve stopped me. Everyone told me, It’s your choice. Whatever you want to do, I’ll support you.’”

The film presented no statistics on the amount of trauma, depression, anxiety, illness, and/or suicide associated with women who have had abortions, only gave a few testimonies of women with bad experiences, and did not elaborate on the circumstances leading women to choose abortion.

No UMKC abortion rights group was available for comment on this article because no such group exists.

However, students interested in forming one can contact the Office of Student Involvement and visit www.umkc.edu/getinvolved/student-organizations.asp for more information.

Roos for Life plans to screen other anti-abortion films on campus in the future.