Where’s Larry?

Animikh Ray

The sign at Oak Place Apartments is missing a familiar tenant, Larry’s Giant Subs, which relocated to Overland Park, Kan.

Oak Place restaurant relocates to suburbs

The sandwich joint Larry’s Giant Subs opened at Oak Place Apartments in July 2010.

But during winter break, Larry’s closed.

Neither Rashad Givhan, Residential Life Coordinator for Oak Place apartments, nor Kristen Abel, Director of Residential life, knew why the owners of Larry’s decided to close.

At the location, a sign from the Larry’s management has been posted. It reads:

“The whole staff of Larry’s Giant Sub’s thanks you for the privilege of serving you over the last six months. We are relocating [to] the Stanley Square shop’s on 151st and US 69 Hwy, and making way for another great locally owned restaurant concept, to be announced shortly.”

But what would cause the restaurant to relocate from its popular location in the Oak Place Apartments?

Elliot Threatt, the person responsible for bringing Larry’s to UMKC Oak Place, hinted as little information as Residential Life.

However, he declined to comment on why the shop is closing down. He said negotiations are ongoing.

Earlier in the fall semester, students were upset over the use of Roo Bucks at two Oak Place locations, Red Mango and Larry’s.

A petition was formed by students regarding the Roo Bucks.

The use of One Card and Roo Bucks at Larry’s was never allowed.

According to Threatt, Larry’s business was excellent.

The responses of the students were also very encouraging.

Threatt did not say why the shop closed down but said something equally good would replace Larry’s Giant Subs.