Campus Fast Fact: Swinney Recreation Center

Kasim Hardaway

The Swinney Recreation Center (SRC) is UMKC’s campus fitness center.

Quick Fact: Swinney is pronounced [swin-ee].

A quick workout can be fit into your schedule no matter how busy it may be.

The hours of operation for Swinney are:

Monday-Thursday: 6 a.m.-10 p.m.

Friday: 6 a.m.-8 p.m.

Saturday: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.

Sunday: Noon-6 p.m.

The majority of students who go to Swinney can be found at the Fitness Center.

“The Fitness Center here at Swinney has everything any student would need,” SRC empolyee Shantella Gregory said.

Any UMKC student or SRC member can access the Fitness Center.

It features treadmills, free-weights, ellipticals, pull down machines, bikes, and an assortment of other equipment that would make for a great workout.

Swinney offers a variety of services including an equipment checkout, bicycle checkout, lock and clean towel service, fitness testing and the new BodPod that measures multiple body attributes using highly-advanced technology.

Along with those services, Swinney has an indoor and outdoor track, basketball courts and an all-weather swimming pool, steam and sauna rooms located in the aquatics center.

There are also countless activities that go on at Swinney, including the most well-known, Intramurals.

Students create teams for different sports and a tournament-style system is used. Swinney also offers classes such as Pilates, spinning, kinesis and yoga.

“There is always something going on, and it’s such a nice and friendly environment here at Swinney,” Gregory said.

All UMKC students are encouraged to come out and get fit at their local recreation center, if that is through working out on one’s own at the Fitness Center or creating a team for Intramurals.

Through offering a variety of modes for exercising, Swinney captures the interest of many the UMKC students and members it serves.

For more information about Swinney Recreation Center and events that are hosted within it, visit www.umkc.edu/src/.