Briefly Mentioned

Kasim Hardaway

Student Curator applications available

The next student curator for the four universities in the University of Missouri (UM) System will be chosen from UMKC.

Every two years, one student from one of the four universities, UMKC, the University of Missouri-Columbia (MU), Missouri University of Science & Technology and the University of Missouri- St. Louis, is chosen to be the student representative to the UM Board of Curators.

As the representative of the board, the student will be responsible for embodying the interests of the university they represent.

Any undergraduate or graduate student is eligible to apply, however, students should have strong communication and presentation skills.

The benefits of having the position of student curator are receiving an honorarium in a sum equal to the cost of 12 undergraduate or six graduate student credit hours per semester at the beginning of each semester of service as Student Representative as well as receiving the Mel Carnahan Memorial Scholarship of $2,000, a parking permit valid on all four campuses, travel reimbursement for business meetings, office space on the campus and potential season tickets to home MU football and basketball games.

The deadline for the Student Curator application is Feb. 7. Applications can be found on the SGA website.

UMKC goes greener

UMKC is continually finding and implementing ways to become more eco-friendly.

UMKC is now the first university in the U.S. to have a mid-size, all-electric vehicle to operate on campus.

The truck will be used mainly to assist with the recycling programs at the Volker and Hospital Hill campuses.

Not only is the truck eco-friendly, but it is also efficient and quiet.

With only five moving parts, the truck can operate without being disruptive. Powered by a Lithium-Ion battery and 120 kW electric motor, the truck was made for efficiency.

One overnight charge of the Lithium-Ion battery will surpass the needed range for UMKC’s standard delivery routes and pick up.

With the new vehicle, UMKC is on the path to significantly decreasing the amount of carbon emissions produced on campus.

Mock Trial success

The Mock Trial Team won the Washington University Arch Invitation this past winter break with a score of 7-1.

The Team also won the Spirit of AMTA award, an award given to the most polite team.

Mock Trial defeated 15 other teams, including Rhodes College and the University of Iowa.

UMKC will be hosting its own mock trial tournament, The City of Fountains invitational from Jan. 14 and 15.

More than 20 teams from across the country will gather at UMKC for the competition.