Album review: Future and Lil Uzi Vert’s “Pluto x Baby Pluto”

Future and Lil Uzi Vert’s collaboration album, “Pluto x Baby Pluto,” released Nov. 13. (Pitchfork)

Just months after rapper Lil Uzi Vert released his long-awaited album “Eternal Atake,” he collaborated with fellow rapper Future to put together the album “Pluto x Baby Pluto.”

The album consists of 16 songs that clock in at just under an hour. I know I am going to take a lot of heat for saying this, but a majority of that hour is rough. 

I did not like the first three songs.

The fourth track, “Real Baby Pluto,” was the first to stand out. The song is really bouncy, and Lil Uzi Vert’s flow sounded really good on top of the melody and bass. The chorus here is really catchy, too. 

“Drankin N Smokin” follows and keeps the same bouncy, head-bobbing energy. Future has the opening verse to the song and absolutely kills it. I really have not supported the Future hype before. The only project I have actually enjoyed of his is “EVOL,” which debuted in 2016. With that said, this song is really, really good. 

“Million Dollar Play” is also a pretty good follow-up. Lil Uzi Vert sounds quite good on it, but I don’t like the chord progression that plays as the melody throughout the song. Without it, I think the song would be amazing. There is also a flute that comes and goes that complements everything really well, but the distorted piano sound doesn’t really fit for me. Despite that, this three-song stretch in the album was impressive. 

The good streak does not last long. The next song, “Plastic,” is terrible. Plain and simple, it is not good. The chorus that starts off the song is absolute garbage. 

“That’s It” follows, and it sounds solid. Future switches his flow a few times, which is something that hasn’t really happened so far into the album. Lil Uzi Vert lets Future carry the song, but his verses are just as good. Although the two balance each other well, Future has the majority of vocals here. The hard bass along with the muted drums sound good. It’s definitely my favorite song on the album.

“Bought a Bad B****” follows and it is another good song. Future has a solo song, Lil Uzi Vert has a solo song and then they go back to the collaborations. The stretch after this is just bad. 

There is not a single good thing I can say about the songs that follow. “I Don’t Wanna Break Up” is the most stereotypical rap song there is; it sounds identical to every other song that exists within the genre. 

The bad stretch lasts six songs until you reach the final track on the album, “Moment of Clarity,” which still isn’t that great. It sounds like a small step up from a lot of the mediocre songs on the album.

Overall, the album has four good songs: “Drankin N Smokin,” “Million Dollar Play,” “That’s It” and “Bought a Bad B****.” Other than those four, the album is mediocre at best. I’m not completely sold on the hype surrounding Future, and I haven’t liked a whole lot of what Lil Uzi Vert has put out recently. If you haven’t heard it already, I wouldn’t go out of my way to play the whole album. However, I would definitely check out the four songs listed above, especially “That’s It.”