Save the date

Sarah Ashlock

Monday, Jan. 10

Good Morning Roos: 7-10 a.m. at Royall Hall and Hospital Hill. Munch on free pastries and drink free coffee or hot chocolate courtesy of the Activity and Program Council.

Tuesday, Jan. 11

Ron Pressman, CEO and President of GE Capital Real Estate, speaking: 3:30-4:30 p.m. at the Student Union Theater. Free to attend, but please RSVP at [email protected]

Wednesday, Jan. 12

Shrek the Musical: 7:30 p.m. premieres at Municipal Auditorium Music Hall (301 West 13th Street). For tickets visit www.broadwayacrossamerica.com/kansascity.

Thursday, Jan. 13

Film and Media Arts Showcase: 6:30 p.m. at Tivoli Cinemas (4050 Pennsylvania). A screening of the best films made during the Fall 2010 semester by UMKC’s Communication Studies Department.

Friday, Jan. 14

The Martin Luther King, Jr. Keynote Address featuring Henry Louis “Skip” Gates: 6-8 p.m. at the Swinney Recreation Center. Gates is a Harvard professor, an author of many works of literary criticism, has edited several anthologies and serves as editor-in-chief of the Oxford African American Studies Center and the online news magazine The Root. For more information about Gates, please visit http://www.aaas.fas.harvard.edu/directory/faculty/henry-louis-gates-jr. This event is free to attend and no ticket is required.

“Another American: Asking and Telling” premiere: 8-10 p.m. at The Kansas City Repertory Theatre. The Obie Award-winning play is written and performed by Marc Wolf and portrays both sides of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, a law prohibiting gay men and women from openly serving in the military that was recently repealed. The play will be performed until Feb. 6. Visit www.kcrep.org for tickets.

Saturday, Jan. 15

Zombie Prom and Birthday Party: 8 p.m. at The Brick (1727 McGee). Dress in whatever your heart desires and listen to live music in celebration of The Brick’s 12th Anniversary. Five dollar cover at the door. Visit www.thebrickkcmo.com for more information.

The TAKEOVER Step Show: 6-9 p.m. at the Swinney Recreation Center brought to you by the African American Student Union and The Lambda Epsilon Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Tickets are $15 for UMKC students and available by calling 816-235-6222.

Sunday, Jan. 16

Her HRC (Human Rights Campaign) Kansas City: 3-8 p.m. at Crosstown Station (1522 McGee). The UMKC Women’s Center sponsors this event. Watch 13 local acts, including former Roos, battle it out on two stages in support of equality. Tickets cost $10 in advance at www.hrc.org/herhrc/ or $15 at the door and includes an annual Human Rights Campaign (HRC) membership.