Cutting my losses

Mark Linville

In 2008, I began to delve into the world of anthropology. What a vast, confusing, and very textual world it was, but interesting all the while.

Anthropology is a broad study of five subfields in the study of humans: Cultural anthropology, linguistics, archeology, sociology and biological anthropology.

My emphasis was cultural anthropology. I was, and still am, intrigued by all cultures of the world.

How they speak, dress, dance, what food they eat and what music they listen to.

Basically, I would love to be the guy to live in some indigenous village for a year and write a book about so one day college students would have to read it just like I have done for the past two years.

It may be because my own culture bores me that I desire to learn about others.

Recently I forced myself to give up on the study for many reasons.

Regardless of how intrigued I am by anthropology, I am even less intrigued by my transcript.

The classes focusing on certain aspects of the study are very strenuous and require a lot of reading.

If you fail to keep up, then you may as well pray for a miracle.

After meeting with my last anthropology professor, I have discovered the study is not for me.

She told me it takes a very deeply dedicated person to devote their life to this study.

I told her my plan as a film production major was to produce my own documentaries, in an effort to combine my major with my anthropology minor.

She responded by saying anthropology is like the dessert to my main course and it would be wise to not indulge.

I was told I don’t need to go to that length, nor do I need to subject myself this torture.

In the past weeks, I wrote a Forum piece about falling asleep in class and how embarrassing it was for me. Well, my Anthropology 328 course, Anthropology of the Body, was that class.

Oddly enough, the instance of me falling asleep against my will applied to the subject matter of the class.

No matter how many shots of espresso I had, I would doze off and seconds later, my pen would go crashing to the floor which woke me up.

My professor told me falling asleep like that meant my body was telling me something.

Was my body telling me to get some sleep? No.

Was my body telling me to stop taking anthropology courses?

Why yes, yes it was.

Or at least my professor thought so.

I could tell my professor was legitimately convinced I was forcing myself to study anthropology.

I was told to stop beating a dead horse.

And that is what I have decided to do.

I am cutting my loss, which is anthropology, and better preparing myself for success as a UMKC student and a future graduate.

I am going to let horsie rest in peace.